Suggestions - Hardware For 28g

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Notivation, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Notivation

Notivation Valued Member Member

Hey everyone! Yesterday was my 16th birthday, and one of my gifts was a 28g (not entirely sure it is 28, but somewhere in the 23-29 range) bowfront tank. Now, some of you may have seen my threads about a native species tank or a vampire crab paludarium. As nice as that would be, being a 28 gal it's too small for native species and being a bowfront the footprint is small and would waste a lot of verticle space. That being said, I would like to build my first community tank. Right now, I have one three gallon housing a neocaridina davidi colony, and another three gallon housing a nerite snail and a betta, both planted tanks. (Shrimp tank has anubias hastfolia, java moss, dwarf subulata, and pennywort, betta tank has pennywort, java moss, marimo ball, radican sword, and java fern. I also have a 1g hex that I am growing anacharis in.) I am so pumped for this, but I really have no idea where to start. I want to have the overgrown "jungle" look in the tank, but I know that comes with time. I've already got a friend who has offered me some jungle val and platies. But before I get caught up in plants and stocking, I simply need hardware. I have no idea where to start.
    • What are you suggestions for a:
      • Filter (HOB or canister please)
      • Stand (Or how to find a table that will support the massive weight)
      • Heater
      • LED light
      • Anything else for a planted community tank
    Thank you all very much in advance.

2. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

I have a HOB filter.. and I really like it.. have a fluval 50 on my 29 gallon..
    Also.. for a stand I actually have an old TV stand that I picked up along the road for free... It holds the tank just fine!!! Heater... I have an aqueon rated for a 50 gallon.. and I am not good with stocking so I will let someone else help you with that!!!:)

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, Happy Birthday!
    I personally use, and recommend Aqueon for HOB filters, and sun-sun for canisters.

4. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

For less then a 100 bucks I got a Brooklyn metal stand for my 29gallon shipped petco. 150 watt heater is what your gonna need. The aqueon HOBs work great. Your gonna want around 300gph. The replacement cartridges are expensive, but I make my own with polyester batting from a craft store. Its far cheaper.
    I can't help you with LEDS. I use all DIY florescent lighting on my planted tanks. Far less up front cost that way.

5. OP
    OP
    Notivation

Is there a difference between canister and HOB filters? Other than their positioning of course. Is flow and filtration power the same? Or is one better suited for one setup and vice versa? Thank you for reminding me about the TV stands, I know those old TVs were practically boat anchors, so I'm sure they're well suited for the task.

6. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

To be honest I don't really know!! I am guessing it's just preference!! I will let someone more experience than me answer that one!!!

7. OP
    OP
    Notivation

Thank you! Would you advise HOB or canister for my setup?

Gee, that's a great deal! Replacement cartridge would be for... carbon? Is carbon needed for larger tank setups? In my nanos, I don't use carbon. But, that's mainly because my filters have little extra space. Thanks in advance for the help!

8. Dave125g

The replacement cartridges have carbon. A lot of people don't use carbon unless removing medication from the tank. I always use carbon however.

9. OP
    OP
    Notivation

Ah, okay. Thanks! I suppose the more layers of protection, the better

10. Frozen One

Frozen One Valued Member Member

Aquaclear 50 HOB filter is Amazing
    Cobalt Neotherm is insanely accurate
    Lighting: I have a current satellite USA 18-24” and it’s great
    For a stand just look up 30 gallon aquarium stand and make sure the footprint will be a good fit for your tank!

11. OP
    OP
    Notivation

Hey Jake! Thank you so much! I've figured out that I can actually use my current cast iron foyer table. We have baseboard heating, so I'll have plenty of space on the back for a HOB. I'll write down those other products for comparison. Thank you so much.

12. Bogart16

Bogart16 Valued Member Member

I'd also recommend an Aquaclear filter. I'd go with a 70. That's what I used to run on my 29g.

It's a bowfront, right? It might be hard to find a stand at the store. I'd say try Craigslist. You can find some solid wood furniture cheap. An old dresser or cabinet would work.

For heaters, I like the Aqueon Pro ones. They run about $26 at Petco (price match to their website when you grab it in store. otherwise it will be $40+). They're reliable and easily adjustable.

Lighting depends on the price range and the type of plants you want. I think a Nicrew or Beamswork light off Amazon would work for you, if you're just doing low light plants.

For plants, you'll either wanted a plant specific substrate, or you'll need root tabs for some plants. I make my own root tabs using Osmocote. It's easily picked up at Walmart or Target and will last you a long time.

13. Frozen One

Frozen One Valued Member Member

No problem! Glad I could help you out

14. OP
    OP
    Notivation

Will an Aquaclear fit with a pretty wide lip? 3/4ths inch? I have the stand taken care of, I found a cast iron table with beautiful wood. Just need to find some padding for it so as to not imprint the wood. For the substrate, I was thinking flourite black?

15. Dave125g

I like the substrate choice. Great for plants. I have a wide rimmed aqueon tank. I found the aqueon quiet flow led 55/75 (400 GPH) fits fine. It could fit on a bigger tank. My tanks rim (an aqueon 125 gallon) has a rim of an inch and a half.

16. OP
    OP
    Notivation

Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice