suggestions GREATLY appreciated

Shawnie
I'm trying to figure how to give a 20 gallon a good vaccuuming...I have convict fry that ive try to catch and put in a breeder container to do the cleaning, but to no avail can I catch them all..my nitrates are high as I haven't done a good cleaning of the gravel since they were born...I was too afraid to suck them up...any other suggestions?? no ones showing signs of nitrates YET but I don't want to wait to that point....TY everyone!

Butterfly
Is there any way to herd them all down to one end with a piece of needle point plastic or something of that nature? Then you could vacuum one half of the tank then tomorrow herd them to the other end and vacuum the other half
Carol

sirdarksol
Also, pay very close attention and be ready to raise the output end of the hose (the one that faces the bucket) above the water level to stop the vacuum. If you're using a Python, keep your hand on the shutoff. Practice doing a quick shutoff several times before turning it on. Your hand will instinctively tighten the proper way after doing this for a bit. That way, panic won't make you don't miss your opportunity to stop the vacuum.

If you manage to snare one with the vacuum, do your best to minimize backflow when you release it. You don't want to dash it against the glass/gravel/decor.

Shawnie
both awesome ideas...tomorrow is water day so ill try both ways...although I don't have a python, ill still practice shutoff in case...half tomorrow half on wed..lordy please don't lemme suck up any babies! TY both!

angelfish220
When I clean I have the water go in a bucket, then check the bucket really good before I dump it. I also use a really wide tubing that way they don't get stuck in it.

Shawnie
ty angel...ive just bought a clear bucket and that's what I'm going to do also...can visualize myself now chasing around fry to put back in the tank!

angelfish220
I don't know how big the cichlid fry are, but I like using a turkey baster. then you just kinda slurp them up

Shawnie
yep that's about the size of them...GREAT idea instead of a cup

Top Bottom