Suggestions for type of fish to get. 29Gal Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Bulldogge16, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Bulldogge16New MemberMember

I was hoping that some of you could offer some suggestions as to what type of fish I should get for my new aquarium (29Gal). I tend to over analyze sometimes.
    I am looking at various different combinations. Based on tank size, compatibility, similar water requirements, & where the fish populate within the aquarium.
    Any suggestions? Should I go with cichlid tank? Is it too small with how agressive they are to have more than two? Or should I go with more of a community style tank and go with 3 different species (any ideas on what combination would work well?) layered throughout the tank?
    Appreciate any, & all suggestions you folks may have. I am having a heck of a time making up my mind.

2. dee34Valued MemberMember

hi welcome to fishlore, a tank that size i wouldnt go for cichlids . i would go for some platys or cardinal neons or rummynoses !;D

3. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

Hello and welcome to Fishlore! (If I haven't welcomed you already :) )

Before choosing fish make sure to cycle your tank first! I see you already know about the cycle so I can save some typing. If you need help starting a fishless cycle though just let us know!
    I wouldn't recommend a cichlid tank since most get far too large or too aggressive that many species require a 55 gallon or more. I am personally a fan of community type set ups. There are some dwarf cichlids that actually do well in community type setups and will be suited to your size tank such as German Blue Rams and Bolivian Rams. They can be mixed in with some schooling fish and bottom feeders. It would be helpful if you could give an idea of what fish interest you. One or two suggestions then we can build from there.

4. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

Hmm :) I'll list some options :D

Layered community option)
    Top- 5 hatchet fish, 5 zebra danios or 1 african butterfly fish

Middle- A group of 8 tetras, 1 small species only, e.g. neons, cardinals or rummynoses

Bottom- 6 Corys of any species :D

OR

Cichlid option)

Shoal fish- A group of 6-8 barbs (e.g tigers, gold barbs)

Cichlid- 2 dwarf cichlids (of the same species), I would recommend, Cockatoos, bolivian rams or german blue rams

Bottom feeder- 1 Bristlenose pleco

Hope these help :)

5. OP
    OP
    B

Bulldogge16New MemberMember

Thanks, I really like your Cichlid option. I had not really seen much on the Dwarf Cichlid. Found a detailed website wich offers detailed descriptions of the various kinds of these fish.

6. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I like Platy Ben's cichlid option but I wouldn't put a shoal of Tiger Barbs with Dwarf Cichlids. Actually I wouldn't put Tiger Barbs with anything other than certain other Barbs. They are way too aggressive. Something like Cherry Barbs would work much better if you wanted to go the barb option or you could go with other more peaceful shoaling fish like Lemon Tetras, Serpae Tetras, Bleeding Heart Tetras, Black Widow Tetras, (among hundreds of suitable Tetra species), Celeb's Rainbow, Spotted Rainbows & Platys would work for the middle zone. You could add Killifish & Guppys to Ben's suggestions for surface fish. For the bottom area you could have a group of Corys or Dwarf Chain Loaches rather than a single Bristlenose. You could also pick a different Pleco like the Pretty Pleco which stays considerably smaller than a Bristlenose does. That way you could have the Corys or Loaches with the Pleco as well, (stocking limits allowing). You could have a pair of Kribensis or Apisto species rather than some sort or Ram to.

7. philipbouchard-daviesValued MemberMember

8. OP
    OP
    B

Bulldogge16New MemberMember

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I will end up with something like this.

Harlequin Rasbora's
    or
    Guppies

German Ram's
    or
    Electric Blue Ram's (If I can find them)

BOTTOM

Dwarf Chain Loach
    or
    Zebra Oto

I think I will wait a while before adding the cichlids, or the bottom dwellers. See how the Harlequin's/Guppies make out for the first little while.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice