Suggestions For Tiny "aquaponic" Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by marinat, Jul 18, 2017.

1. marinat

marinatNew MemberMember

I got this   as a gift. It has an under gravel filter that has a little basket with some clay beads for a plant. I'm looking for ideas of what to plant in there.

The clay beads are all submerged in the aquarium water. I had a spider plant in there, but I don't think that was the best. For one, I have a cat who LOVES plants and she chewed it half to death, and also I think it's too wet for it to be happy long term in there. So, I guess I'm looking for a smallish plant that likes roots under water but foliage in the air, and non-toxic to cats.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Any leafy plant can be planted in there. What fish/inverts are you planning on stocking in the aquaponic tank (if any)?

3. OP
    OP
    marinat

marinatNew MemberMember

Really? OK. I also tried some mint but it got all leggy. Maybe because it doesn't get enough light? Or maybe due to the wet roots? I have no idea, I'm really not much of a gardener!

It's got a betta and a nerite snail right now. I might add a few ghost shrimp. It also has a little anubias and a moss ball.

4. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Pothos maybe?

edit// ignore me lol

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  5. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Pothos is toxic to dogs and cats.

6. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Oh I had no idea

7. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Most any plant can be grown hydroponically, you could always add a desktop lamp with daylight cfl to support plant growth...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice