Suggestions For Tiny "aquaponic" Tank?

1. marinat Initiate Member

I got this 3.5 aquaponic tank as a gift. It has an under gravel filter that has a little basket with some clay beads for a plant. I'm looking for ideas of what to plant in there.

The clay beads are all submerged in the aquarium water. I had a spider plant in there, but I don't think that was the best. For one, I have a cat who LOVES plants and she chewed it half to death, and also I think it's too wet for it to be happy long term in there. So, I guess I'm looking for a smallish plant that likes roots under water but foliage in the air, and non-toxic to cats.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
  2. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Any leafy plant can be planted in there. What fish/inverts are you planning on stocking in the aquaponic tank (if any)?

3. marinat Initiate Member

Really? OK. I also tried some mint but it got all leggy. Maybe because it doesn't get enough light? Or maybe due to the wet roots? I have no idea, I'm really not much of a gardener!

It's got a betta and a nerite snail right now. I might add a few ghost shrimp. It also has a little anubias and a moss ball.
  4. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Pothos maybe?

edit// ignore me lol

5. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Pothos is toxic to dogs and cats.
  6. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Oh I had no idea
  7. Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member