20 Gallon Tank Suggestions for Stocking a 20 Gallon Tank???

  • Thread starter Tunaboy
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

Tunaboy

Active Member
Member
Messages
132
Hey guys,

I was wondering if there were any suggestions as to what type/how many fish I can keep in my 20 gallon tank? Right now I have 1 male half moon betta and 4 mollies. I don’t plan on buying new fish until months later but I was just curious.
 

jkkgron2

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,703

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well Known
Member
Messages
651
Mollie, imo, need a 30g tank, though I believe hi-fin mollies can be in a smaller tank I think. Without the mollies you could probably have 7 tetras and 7 cories. With them you could just have the cories.
 

Killies

Active Member
Member
Messages
52
If you’re looking for something more exotic, maybe betta pallifina or betta unimaculata, completely different species from the splendid betta.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Tunaboy

Active Member
Member
Messages
132
Killies said:
If you’re looking for something more exotic, maybe betta pallifina or betta unimaculata, completely different species from the splendid betta.
Really? Won’t they be aggressive with the betta I have now?

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Mollie, imo, need a 30g tank, though I believe hi-fin mollies can be in a smaller tank I think. Without the mollies you could probably have 7 tetras and 7 cories. With them you could just have the cories.
I think the mollies I have grow to about 3 inches. Are cories catfish?
 

Killies

Active Member
Member
Messages
52
No, they’re completely different species and relatively peaceful, but have small quarrels over territory.
 

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well Known
Member
Messages
651
Yes, very small ones. Most get 2-3 in.

They school and won't attach other fish.
 

Killies

Active Member
Member
Messages
52
Actually, that’s not true. These betta don’t school and actually grow 4 inches long.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Tunaboy

Active Member
Member
Messages
132
Killies said:
No, they’re completely different species and relatively peaceful, but have small quarrels over territory.
Wow! I didn’t know about them. I’m going to look them up.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

Tunaboy

Active Member
Member
Messages
132
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Yes, very small ones. Most get 2-3 in.
Oh ok, I’ll look into them.
 
  • #11

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well Known
Member
Messages
651
Oh, I thought you were talking about the cories, I was super confused.
 
  • #12

Killies

Active Member
Member
Messages
52
Anothet interesting thing is that they’re mouthbrooders, and carry the eggs and fry in their mouth.
 
  • #13

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well Known
Member
Messages
651
There are tons of varieties. Orange laser, bronze, exclamation point, sterbai, among many others.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14

Tunaboy

Active Member
Member
Messages
132
Wow their really pretty fish. Do you think it would matter if the fish was female or male?
 
  • #15

Killies

Active Member
Member
Messages
52
Well, that was a picture of a male, and it’s really rare for males to attack females.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16

Tunaboy

Active Member
Member
Messages
132
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
There are tons of varieties. Orange laser, bronze, exclamation point, sterbai, among many others.
Very cool! I’ll definitely look at housing one of those. What’s your opinion on shrimp? I would really like one of those cherry shrimp in my tank but only if it’s safe for them.

Killies said:
Well, that was a picture of a male, and it’s really rare for males to attack females.
Oh ok, thank you!
 
  • #17

Killies

Active Member
Member
Messages
52
If you really want cherry shrimp, I don’t know if it would be wise to get cories or the wild bettas. The cories would pick off the babies, and the wild betta would just eat all of them in a day.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18

Tunaboy

Active Member
Member
Messages
132
Killies said:
If you really want cherry shrimp, I don’t know if it would be wise to get cories or the wild bettas. The cories would pick off the babies, and the wild betta would just eat all of them in a day.
Yikes! Nevermind then
 
  • #19

Killies

Active Member
Member
Messages
52
Yeah, dwarf shrimp are at the bottom of the food chain, because basically everything eats them. If possible, you could do a shrimp only tank, but I find that a bit boring.
 
  • #20

FishBoy101

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,017
Tunaboy said:
Very cool! I’ll definitely look at housing one of those. What’s your opinion on shrimp? I would really like one of those cherry shrimp in my tank but only if it’s safe for them.
They would get eaten by the betta.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #21

Tunaboy

Active Member
Member
Messages
132
Killies said:
Yeah, dwarf shrimp are at the bottom of the food chain, because basically everything eats them. If possible, you could do a shrimp only tank, but I find that a bit boring.
Hm I could do that, I have an extra 10 gallon tank that could work.
 
  • #22

kansas

Active Member
Member
Messages
481
Do you have female mollies? If so, you'll soon have fry to deal with.
 
Top Bottom