Suggestions for stocking 40-gal tank? 40 Gallon Tank

1. Forester Member Member

We are planning to get an approx 40 gallon tank after the holidays and I would appreciate advice on possible combinations. I’m considering the following:

4-6 serpae tetras, 4-6 glowlight tetras, 4-6 gold pristella tetras, 4-6 zebra danios, 3-7 killifish (only 1 male), 1 angelfish, 1 gypsy tiger pleco OR 1 starry night pleco OR 6 corys. Possibly 2-3 sunset platys (only 1 male).

I plan to balance the numbers to not exceed 40 total inches of fish.

Would all these work well together, and are there any other fish I should consider? Thanks for any suggestions!

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hmm, this is going to be difficult to find a reasonable stock with all of those species, could you possibly take out 1 species of tetra or do you want to have all 3 species?

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore, forester.

4. Forester Member Member

I already have those 3 species in a 10 gallon tank, but I could give the gold pristellas away.

5. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Well you dont have to give them away but you can't have everything else you want with those 3 species as they need a good number, as you know, to feel comfortable, I'l sit and work something out now :)

(A few minutes later)

If you were to do the following you would be ok,

4 serpae tetras
    4 glowlight tetras
    4 zebra danios
    3 killifish
    1 angelfish
    1 gypsy tiger pleco

however this still exceeds 40 inches of fish.
    It is quite difficult to get a good stock with so many species, sorry I can't help anymore

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

With proper filtration, IMO you could easily bump up the numbers of your tetras and danios to 6 each. They aren't much in terms of bioload. Rather than looking at inches per gallon, there are a lot of other things you can think about for stocking- bioload, activity level, temperament, etc. It's also important to think about what level of your tank the fish will spend the most time in. You shouldn't have any problems.

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

I agree with Harpua. Excellent filtration is definitely important, though. You'll be wanting 400gph filtration. You'll also want to keep a very close eye on your water parameters, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates to make sure your bacteria is handling the bioload.

8. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

An Emperor 400 would do nicely if you are looking for equipment suggestions. Or, a canister would be even better.

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Ooh, I second a canister, Harpua. I have a fluval 305 - awesome...

10. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Rena XPs for me, although I like the Fluvals as well.

11. Forester Member Member

Thank you for all the suggestions. It's great to know that with better filtration I could exceed the 1 inch per gallon rule. I also appreciate your comments on my proposed combination.

I'm thinking about scaling down to a 29 gallon tank. I came up with this combination based on your suggestions: 4 serpae tetras (I have 2 already), 4 glowlight tetras (I have 2), 4 gold pristella tetras (I have 2), 2 zebra danios (have these), 1 angel (I have it), 4 black neon tetras, a pleco that does not grow more than 4 inches and 2 dwarf rainbowfish. What do you think? According to my research, the fish in this combination should all get along well, but I'm interested in hearing from your experience. Also are these numbers enough to satisfy schooling needs? My danios are very active and seem to be OK with just 2. Also, I believe this combination will cover all levels of the tank, but I'd appreciate your opinion.

Finally, I have a Tetra Whisper 40 210gph. Would that be a strong enough filter for a 29 gallon tank?

I really appreciate your help!

12. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

That's a lot of different schools for a 29 gallon, and remember that your angel has the potential to grow pretty large. I'd suggest leaving out the pleco, rainbowfish, and black neons and instead increasing the numbers of your other schools to 6 each. With the angel, you'll be fully stocked.

13. Forester Member Member

I’ve now stocked my 30 gallon tank with 8 ghost shrimp, 7 small green barbs, 2 sailfin mollies, 2 serpae tetras, 2 bushy nosed plecos, 1 zebra danio, 1 marble angelfish and a rainbow shark. Do you think that I could get 5 more zebra danios? When fully grown, this would total about 36 inches of fish and I have a Penguin Bioweel 200.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

14. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

For a 40 gallon, 400 gph filtration is recommended if you have a HOB filter. (200 is recommended if you have a canister) You currently have only half the filtration that is ideal. You may be okay for a while, but I think that as your fish grow bigger, you might end up with some difficulty keeping the water parameters steady. Your best bet in an underfiltered tank is to keep it lightly stocked. You may want to plug in your parameters into www.aqadvisor.com and see what the calculator says about your filtration capacity before you add more fish.

15. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

The shrimp are destined to become a snack for the Angelfish & the RTS. The RTS & the barbs will likely keep nipping at the Angelfish & usually two plecs in a 30gal will fight alot unless they happen to want to breed or two very clear territories are established.

The small green barbs could be either green tiger barbs or spanner barbs. Green Tiger Barbs are a vicious fish, spanner barbs get rather large. There's potential for problems with either. Danios are a schooling fish & really should be kept as a minimum of 6 together. One by itself will probably pine away & die. Mollies benefit from salt added to thier water but some of yur other fish won't tolerate salt at all.

I would get a positive ID on the barbs for a start. Then I would remove one of the plecs, the RTS & the shrimp. Add more danios & add more serpae tetras to give you at least 6 of each. That is after you increase the filtration that you have. My vote would be for an Eheim Canister Filter. Probably a 2213 would be enough.

16. Forester Member Member

Hi, I currently have 1 zebra danio, 1 angel fish, 1 bushy nose pleco, 2 sailfin mollies, and 1 rainbow shark in my 29 gallon tank (the barbs, tetras, and a pleco died). I am thinking about adding 20 cardinal tetras, 9 zebra danios, and 1 sailfin mollie. I have an aquaclear 110 filter. Do you think I’ll be overstocked? Thanks for all the suggestions.

PS. Aquadvisor has been very helpful, thanks!

17. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think you'll be overstocked. Plecos are a big waste-producer, so you have to consider that.