Suggestions For Small Algae Eater

Honeyislife

Reaction score
I have a 29g tank with a razorback musk turtle hatchling. Right now it's filled with only about 10 gallons of water as the hatchling is so tiny.
Because of the lights that are necessary for the turtle, I am expecting some algae in the future. I'm looking for recommendations for one or two small algae eaters to put in the tank. As the turtle grows I will raise the water, but probably not much over 20 gallons. I have to keep room up top for the turtle ramp.
Also, anything that may clean up the occasional leftover pellet or bits of food, as turtles can be messy eaters.
At the moment I have a fluval u3 running on the gentle spray bar setting, and keep the temperature around 80 degrees. My pH runs high around 8.2 from tap. I do have a peice of mopani drift wood soaking I intend to add at some point.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not well versed in turtles but was under the belief they will eat any small fish and some any fish they can catch?

Honeyislife

Reaction score
sfsamm said:
I'm not well versed in turtles but was under the belief they will eat any small fish and some any fish they can catch?
It'll be several years until the hatchling reaches adult size. As adults they remain fairly small compared to most turtles. In general musks are foragers and poor hunters. Of course there's always the risk it will catch the occasional fish. I intend to put guppies and fry from my other tanks in. Musks are more aquatic than other species and are commonly kept in community aquariums.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Honeyislife said:
It'll be several years until the hatchling reaches adult size. As adults they remain fairly small compared to most turtles. In general musks are foragers and poor hunters. Of course there's always the risk it will catch the occasional fish. I intend to put guppies and fry from my other tanks in. Musks are more aquatic than other species and are commonly kept in community aquariums.
That's awesome! I had no idea any turtle could be remotely safe for fish! I don't know much about turtles other than how to moved them out of the road and how to catch them out of a pond!

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's quite a bit floating around the internet on how to safely and effectively employ Amano Shrimp in turtle tanks. Haven't looked into it myself, Amanos kill my RCS and I don't do turtles.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom