Suggestions for red fin shark compatible friend

HonestAbe

Hello, any suggestions are greatly appreciated since at this point I’m stumped. I’m still in my first year of fish keeping and am struggling to find a community or solo partner for one of my favorite fish the red fin. This is a cycled tank partially planted, 35G, and I have 2 crays and one red fin shark. I don’t plan to add much more but would like to accompany my solo fish with at least 1 other species. I’ve read and watched community tank ideas for the shark and based on my setup I feel like I’ve tried my limited options. I want to keep the 2 crays since they’re happily sharing the space and even mating at times but I do realize that limits my possible choices for additions to the tank. At this point I have tried dwarf gourami, black skirt tetra, and platy(not at the same time). All have been bullied to near exhaustion and I’ve transferred them over to my peaceful 55g tank(Sadly losing one to that exhaustion).

Ouse

Welcome to FishLore.

Red tail sharks are unpredictable. Sometimes they work, but in most cases, they don’t. I’m surprised yours hasn’t attacked those crayfish yet, as they’ll get into the shark’s space more than middle/top swimmers will.

”Bullying” isn’t the right word for it. Bullying is more of a human behaviour, and is not what the shark is doing. “Territorial” is the most fitting word to describe this behaviour.

I don’t suppose the shark wants a friend. Fish don’t form friendships, especially this particular shark. :D

35 gallons is on the smaller end for a red tail shark. The dimensions (length, width and height) can’t possibly be adequate. If you want the tank to be more lively and diverse, it might be best to simply give up the shark. Any other stocking suggestions will suffer the same fate as all the fish you’ve tried so far.

HonestAbe

Welcome to FishLore.

Red tail sharks are unpredictable. Sometimes they work, but in most cases, they don’t. I’m surprised yours hasn’t attacked those crayfish yet, as they’ll get into the shark’s space more than middle/top swimmers will.

”Bullying” isn’t the right word for it. Bullying is more of a human behaviour, and is not what the shark is doing. “Territorial” is the most fitting word to describe this behaviour.

I don’t suppose the shark wants a friend. Fish don’t form friendships, especially this particular shark. :D

35 gallons is on the smaller end for a red tail shark. The dimensions (length, width and height) can’t possibly be adequate. If you want the tank to be more lively and diverse, it might be best to simply give up the shark. Any other stocking suggestions will suffer the same fate as all the fish you’ve tried so far.
Haha, thanks for walking me through that. The 2 cray are from my very 1st tank survived through all my beginner mistakes, and at this point a year old or close to it so a bit bigger than the shark. Maybe that’s why he leaves them alone. Based on your input would I possibly have more options if I transitioned the crays and shark into my 55g? It’s a much bigger tank and fully planted.

Ouse

You can try the shark in the 55 gallon, however take it with a pinch of salt. The heavier planting might help create territory boundaries that the shark can respect, however nothing else will change the shark’s temperament completely.

Frank the Fish guy

Your red fin shark is territorially aggressive. I have had luck having a school of rainbows. The rainbows are not interested in the feeding ground that the shark protects. Rainbows stay up higher. Then when the shark comes out to shoosh one away, since you have a school, it won't always be the same fish and they won't get exhausted. Sort of spread the love around.

But mainly the rainbows don't threaten the feeding ground of the shark and they stay in a school away from his territory.

I would put the school of rainbows in all at once. Take the shark out for a few days. Move the rocks around and re-introduce the shark. Hopefully he will just see the rainbows as part of the new world. As long as he feels his territory is safe he won't need to be aggressive to defend it.

HonestAbe

Thanks!! : ) il consider this an option moving forward. Do you recall the rainbows you had with your shark?

Frank the Fish guy

Nothing fancy. I think they were basic mixed variety. Like the $5 a piece variety.

jmaldo

Not sure the RTS behavior will change much even if in a 55. It is their nature, mine was in a Planted 55 community. Got him at 1" Beautiful Fish. Was fine in a Community until he got to be 3.5" and decided the tank was his and chased everyone relentlessly. Did not matter if at feeding time or not. If he could intimidate he would. Had to trade-in to LFS.
Even the store clerk said it in their DNA, he was going to try and put him in a tank with larger fish.
Just my experience.

Blurry shot of him, he was so fast, a torpedo with jet packs...

You must be registered to see images

Good Luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
emmykenzie
Replies
Views
Harvster10
  • Question
Replies