Suggestions For Quick Cycling

smallfries

Reaction score
So yesterday I came home to my 10 gallon, two-month old planted tank leaking from the bottom. After putting the fish and shrimp in a 5 gallon bucket with the filter and heater, I found a used 50 gallon acrylic hex tank and stand with a new Aqueon Flow 50 LED Pro filter for $70 (a big upgrade, I know!) So obviously I want to get the new tank cycled as quickly as possible. I have the damp substrate from the old tank still and as much of the water as I could save as well. Since I'm using the filter on the bucket, I can't use it to help cycle the new tank. Any other suggestions? I currently have 6 CPDs, 2 Threadfin Rainbowfish, and some Cherry and Amano shrimp.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You need to keep the filter with the fish OR the filter media. Thats where your cycle (beneficial bacteria) lives. Otherwise youre going to have to cycle a new filter.

All you have to do is put the new and old filters on the new tank, pour the water in, fill it the rest of the way and youre all set. Eventually (in a few months) it will be safe to remove the old filter.

smallfries

Reaction score
DuaneV said:
You need to keep the filter with the fish OR the filter media. Thats where your cycle (beneficial bacteria) lives. Otherwise youre going to have to cycle a new filter.

All you have to do is put the new and old filters on the new tank, pour the water in, fill it the rest of the way and youre all set. Eventually (in a few months) it will be safe to remove the old filter.
Great, thanks so much! I think I'll get some of that Turbo Start stuff if I can find it and throw that in there as well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom