Suggestions for plants Question

1. urmama21 Initiate Member

I have a 10 gallon with a few tetras a guppy and a mystery snail.looking for a low maintenance plant that the snail and fish won't eat.i

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

If you have some type of wood/rocks get some anubias or java fern.

3. urmama21 Initiate Member

Just have gravel and some fake plants right know but will look into it thanks for responding

4. kwhitworth83 Member Member

You don't necessarily need wood or rocks for Java fern. I have mine just stuck in the gravel and they are doing quite well. Just make sure not to cover the rhizome. Pretty easy plant In my opinion.

5. urmama21 Initiate Member

Thanks

6. Crissandra331 Member Member

One of my all time favorite plants is Anubia, they look really great tied to driftwood, but also can be anchored in the substrate as well.

I got a small bunch maybe 6 leaves, I have taken many cuttings off it over the years. It's been through 3 moves and also periods of absolutely no fertilization. They're quite the care-free plant, highly recommended by me :)

Good Luck

Side note- they are very slow growing.

7. urmama21 Initiate Member

Perfect thanks

8. urmama21 Initiate Member

Thanks for the advice

Attached Files:

9. TKDennison Member Member

I agree with the anubias,
    I'm also having good luck with the java fern in my low-light tank.
    Its just tied to a piece of slate and it looks all bushy.
    the DG loves to sleep in it,
    and the ghost shrimp can hide in it at the same time.

10. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Apongetans arent bad. Also water wisteria is neat, you can plant or float it.

11. Crissandra331 Member Member

Witchydesign I heard Apongetans go through dormant period, main reason for never trying them out, is this true with yours?

12. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

I have only just started my planted tank this year. So far they are doing fine. I dont know about a dormant period?

13. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

hornwort, frogbit, water wisteria, java ferns, java moss, anubias, anacharis, are all easy low light plants with no special needs. They all feed from the water column so as long as you have some fish they should be good to go. I sell a few of these here on fishlore in the sales forums, but it is only allowed if you have 50 posts, so you have a ways to go. If you can't wait until you hit 50 posts, Peabody's Paradise is a sponsor of the forums and is a good website with a wide selection of plants. jetajockey is the owner and a frequent member here, so I'm sure he can help you out. I believe it's peabodysparadise.com