Suggestions for one-eyed Tiger Barb

TalonGore

I ordered two Tiger Barbs from an online store that I was planning to add to the six tiger barbs I already have. I have the two news ones in my quarantine tank today.

One of the new tiger barbs I received is missing an eye. It looks like a deformity or an old injury, as its healed up and is certainly not a recent injury. He seems healthy otherwise, though skittish and not the best swimmer...the other new Tiger is definitely taking advantage of his weakness and picking on him. I will have to separate them today.

But now that I have him, my question is really what is the best thing for him? Options:
1. Move him to my main tank. I am just concerned the other Tigers will take advantage and harass him because he can't see from one side of his body.
2. Leave him in my quarantine tank with the few zebra danios and skirt tetras that I keep in there to keep an active cycle. But will the Tiger be miserable in there, being the only one of his kind?
3. Euthanize him. I don't like to think of that, but is that the humane thing to do in this case?

Any chance anyone has experience with a one-eyed Tiger Barb in a school of 8, and whether this guy would be in harm's way?

(FWIW, the online store has already refunded me the fish and apologized for sending it, as well as sent me a discount code for the mistake.)

Thanks in advance.

A201

My guess is that the handicapped TB has already adjusted to it's situation & probably will be fine in a large group.
I'm happy to hear the vendor made good on their mistake.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kallililly1973
  • Question
Replies
Views
JuniperJay
Replies
Views
goldface
Replies