Suggestions for my new tank?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by mishykinz, Apr 2, 2010.

1. mishykinz

mishykinz Valued Member Member

I just got a 55 gallon tank for free from Freecycle. (It has a leak but I'm fixing it.) In the meantime, what do you guys think I should put in it? I was thinking some types of cichlids, though I've never owned any before. What do you think would be a good stock for a beginner in that respect?

I've been reading the cichlid newbie thread ( https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/cichlids/27975-cichlid-newbies-how-set-up-cichlid-tanks.html ) but I just wanted some fun suggestions from you guys.

I was also thinking of trying some live plants, so plants that are the most compatible with your fish suggestions would be fantastic.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Are you interested in New World or African cichlids?

You can also check out cichlid-forum.com. Since there are so many cichlid species, that would help you narrow it down. We could help you with your stocking from there.

I hope this helps.

3. OP
    OP
    mishykinz

Thanks a lot. Two species I'm interested in are angelfish and convicts. I've heard that both of these species can be really aggressive, though, but I want to be able to put other fish in the tank too. Like corys and a dragon goby, maybe a few silver dollars? (My mother-in-law was the inspiration for that combo, in her 55 she has some silver dollars and an angelfish that behave beautifully together.)

4. o

othogg New Member Member

hi Im OThogg Im new to this site and I also have cichlids in my tank I wouldnt recomend too many plants they will tear them apart good luck with your tank

5. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Convicts don't play well with others. They require very tough tankmates.

Angels would be great in a 55g. The silver dollars and corys would do well with them. If you choose this stocking, add the angels last. They're a wee bit territorial, but seem to do well when added last. Two angels would be the most angels I'd put in the tank, though.

I believe dragon goby's are brackish fish.

6. OP
    OP
    mishykinz

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll stick with the angels and silver dollars.

One more question; I dont have the money to afford the filter/heater/etc for the tank yet, but can I go ahead and start cycling it anyway? Or do I need a filter to get that going? When I cycled my other 2 tanks I had the filter running so I wasn't sure.

7. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes they are. If your LFS tries to say differently, trust me, they are just trying to make a sale. :p

A filter (or at least a powerhead) is needed IMO because the water will become stagnant and nasty otherwise. Hehe, I have some tanks sitting with old water that I haven't torn down yet after starting the fishroom, and the entire room smells gross. :p
    A heater will likely speed your cycling process; however, it is not needed to get the proverbial ball rolling. You can start your cycle anytime as long as you're moving water, IMO. :)

Good luck with your new tank!

8. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

get a silver arowana, 4."
    plan to buy a 300 gallon tank.
    join me in the arowana section of this site.

9. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

If I were you I would 100% ignore the advise above, sorry dude.

If you are having trouble with buying a filter , heater, etc (as many people are) don't get your hopes set on a fish that needs a large tank and everything to go along with that tank.

Brian

10. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Good advice from everyone above except for leeishom. I agree with Brian on that one. If you struggle to get the equipment you need for the tank you have now you don't want to be considering a fish that need tanks & equipment that would cost thousands.

11. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

angels and silver dollars sound like a great tank :) they are truely magestic fish for sure
    recommending something like that for a new cichlid fish keeper, isnt something thats very helpful....if they cant get a filter yet as finances dont allow, what makes you think a 300g tank is in their future?

12. OP
    OP
    mishykinz

Thanks again everyone. I definitely will NOT be looking into an arowana...not only am I short on extra spending money at the moment, but I already have 2 other tanks occupying a lot of space (it was a struggle to find a spot for this new 55 gallon!)...I definitely don't want to maintain a 300 gallon. I'd probably have to knock out a wall in my house to make room for that monster!

So, I'm thinking 2 angelfish, 2-3 silver dollars, and a little school of corys, 5-6 of those. Any other suggestions or is anything else going to overcrowd? I was thinking one of those little spotted african leaf fish too, I think they're adorable.

13. MaddieLynn

MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

You DO need a filter to cycle your tank, because otherwise there is nothing for the beneficial bacteria to grow on. The gravel probably won't hold nearly enough. Good luck with your fish! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice