Suggestions for moving 20+ year old African Clawed Frog to new tank

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by KartRCR125, Jul 8, 2015.

1. K

KartRCR125 New Member Member

I've recently become a new caretaker of my fiance's 20+ year old African Clawed Frog, Tippy, that we have taken responsibility of. Tippy came from a Grow-a-Frog kit that my fiance did when she was little. The unfortunate part is that Tippy has spent his (assuming based on nightly croaking) entire life in about 1 gallon tank, without a filter, that has been getting regular full water changes every few weeks. He has a single rock as substrate, and gets fed ReptoMin floating food sticks daily.

Upon taking ownership of Tippy I did some research to quickly find out he's been living in a much too small tank and is deserving of some territory to swim in. In a bit of an impulse I bought a 10 Gallon tank, filled it 3/4 way up, got a few rocks, a shelter, and treated it for chlorination. I have not moved Tippy to his new habitat because I've been doing more reading and am now concerned about whether or not I need to cycle the tank and take more precautions to ensure his continued survival in moving from a 1 gal tank to a 10 gallon tank. I'm hoping to see him thrive and enjoy his new space, so I'd greatly appreciate any helpful tips on what I should do to ensure a smooth transition.

I've already ordered a testing kit and some basics for water changing. I'm now in need of specifically knowing what I should to prepare the tank before transfer.

Should I do a fishless cycle? Is it necessary?
    Should I be concerned about switching over water in his far too small tank? (The refill of water is now city water instead of from a suburb where he resided for his life so far)
    Should I add a filter? Heater? (he's never had either of this in his small tank for entire life so far)

Thanks in advance!

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes you should do a fishless cycle, its more humane for the frog. A filter and heater is necessary as well. What test kit did you order?

3. OP
    OP
    K

I ordered a "API Freshwater Master Test Kit". I will get a heater and a filter. Since he's never had a filter, should I be concerned about vibrations from it? I was planning on getting a whisper waterfall style filter.

Do you have any tips for the fishless cycle? I feel bad for him living in a small tank now. I've read it can take weeks or months. Am I better of doing it slowly or using something to accelerate and get him out of his tiny tank more quickly?

4. Dom90

5. OP
    OP
    K

Is that the best filtering option? I planned on keeping the tank filled 3/4 to prevent space for jumping and not have the water be too deep. With the hang on back style it looks like the waterfall would be pretty steep.

I'm working on filling up an Amazon cart for all the things I need for cycling... This should be an interesting experiment!

6. Dom90

Well, its either buying a HOB or a canister. A canister filter will run you at least $70 though. How about an AquaClear 10 or 20? You can customize the filter media to how you want. Also grab a bottle of Seachem Stability to cycle the tank faster.

7. OP
    OP
    K

Thanks, I like the versatility and design of the AquaClear 20. It looks like it comes with a variety of media. Is there a ideal combination you would suggest for ACF? Cycling period?

I've added the Seachem to my cart as well. For Ammonia it was suggested as "pure ammonia", but I couldn't figure out exactly what that meant when finding products. I added a bottle of "DrTims Aquatics Ammonium chloride" to my cart which appears to be favorable for cycling.

8. Dom90

Lol dont waste your money buying that stuff. Just go to your local Ace Hardware store and grab a bottle of "Janitorial Strength pure ammonia".

For $6, you get a gallon at Ace :D

9. b

butterfly48 New Member Member

From my own research it seems that water vibrations are a concern for African Clawed frogs however they are messy and need a very high filter rate. To reduce the vibrations the Whisper filters are pretty good as they don't have an exaggerated waterfall effect and you should also get a filter rated for a much larger tank, you can purchase spray bars or make your own water break using rocks if you feel your frog is upset by the water flow. I would also recommend once he is in the tank only turning the filter on for a little while at a time until you're confident it's not stressing him out, in which case you can then leave it on all the time. It is recommended that you fill the tank all the way up since they are 100% aquatic animals. If you're worried about them jumping out you can always tape any holes in the aquarium hood. I have an african dwarf frog and I have never had any problems with him jumping out. :) I think it just depends on the individual.
    Here is a site that's very informative -  

Hope this helps! Good luck!

10. OP
    OP
    K

To be honest, with my severely limited amount of storage space, I'd pay for a smaller bottle as long as I know I have the right stuff!

Is there any reason not to buy it as it wouldn't be the right product to add? I'm imagining I don't need very much for the this process if its just a few drops/day.

11. Dom90

With 10 gallons, you would only need like 0.5mL of pure ammonia a day.

12. OP
    OP
    K

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get a HOB filter and I'll be sure to not run it consistently at first when I move him over to the tank so its less of a shock. I'm not sure what I'll do yet for a water break, but I'll find something that works to reduce the strength of the waterfall. I don't really want to let the water get too close to the top because he has been prone to jumping.

13. Dom90

You can fold a sponge in front of some HOBs where the water flows down to slow the rate down I think,

14. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

The filter will need to be run 24/7 to make sure the nitrifying bacteria does not die off. And if you are not going to keep the tank filled to the top, a HOB filter is not what you want. I would get an internal filter, or a canister.

15. OP
    OP
    K

To keep vibrations down I think I'd avoid an internal filter. Would a external canister filter be overkill for a 10 Gallon tank? In doing some high level research it sounds like a lot of them are rated for much bigger tanks. If I find one with a variable speed I would consider it.

16. BDpups

I have found if you have too much flow with a canister, that drilling the holes out to be bigger on the spray bar works to reduce the current in the tank.

Here is a mini canister that should work with no modifications though.

17. Dom90

It is true, canister filters are generally for bigger tanks, but doesnt mean you cant get one. The only HOB filter with an adjustable flow rate that I know of is the AquaClears.

18. OP
    OP
    K

I've done some more research and think I'll probably get a canister filter after all. I think I'd like not having a waterfall sounds all the time anyways. I was checking out some of the smallest Eheim and Fluval canisters, but most of them sounds like they would in excess of what I should have running a 10 Gal tank with about 8 gallons in it. I found this one that I might settle for unless there's a great reason to get a Eheim of Fluval, the Zoo Med Nano 10.

19. Dom90

Well with canisters, you only need 5x GPH. I am running a Fluval406, rated at 383, on my 75g. Fluval and Eheim are like the Mercedes and BMW of filters. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

20. BDpups

I think the Zoo Med is worth a shot. I linked this one earlier, but the place I linked did not have it in stock. http://www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-R...id=1436399988&sr=1-2&keywords=tom+mini+filter

And if you go for a Eheim,   That's the one I would get.

I know Fluval makes quality filters as well. I've never owned one though so would be hesitant in recommending one.

And I agree with you. I would rather not have to hear the sound of a waterfall all the time. I think a small canister is the way to go in your case. Good luck :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice