Suggestions for heating tank with no power?

Sydneykkh

Hi. I am new to the forum but I wanted to know if anybody has any suggestions. There have been a lot of long power outages where I live, and I’m worried about my tank getting too cold if I were to be stuck in one. I have a 10 gallon with a betta and some mystery snails. Does anyone know of any cordless heaters? Or any other suggestions?

BigManAquatics

Wrapping the tank up with towels or a blanket can help hold the heat in for awhile. Otherwise, can't think of much without a generator. Warm water in a water bottle can also help keep a tank warm, if that is an option in a power outtage.

Bwood22

Hot water heaters will store hot water for several days. It will at least keep the water warm enough to do a water change and bring the temp up.

At the end of 2019 we had s hurricane blow thru central Alabama and it knocked out our power for 5 days at the beginning of November when it started getting cold outside.

Battery powered bubble boxes, towels around the tank and warm water changes kept all the fish alive.

If the power goes out for a few hours its not a big deal.
But if its out for an entire day or more is when you need to get creative.

Edit: pull your filter media and put it on top of an airstone inside the tank to keep water flowing around it.

FishDin

I've wondered how a portable power station would work. I haven't researched it, but there are several on the market. Search Amazon for a quik idea of what's available. They can be recharged from you car or truck, so if they run out of power before the outage is over you can easily recharge them. For a fish tank(s) you wouldn't need a large one.

Rose of Sharon

I live in hurricane land, too. We have a couple of battery backups/portable power stations that people use for camping that we keep charged up. I also have a couple of boxes of hand warmers on hand for delayed power outages. You could maybe invest in some of those bigger warming pads that are used to ship fish. I saw some of those on Amazon. There are some that are supposed last like 3 days, or longer. They are just highfalutin hand warmers.

I know that I read a thread by a member a couple of years ago where he said that he kept multiple betta tanks in a house that was 50 degrees for over a week when he lost power due to a snow storm. He said that he just didn't feed them, and that they all came out alright.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Frisbee
Replies
Views
jarrett181
Replies
Views
Marlene327
Replies
Views