Suggestions for growing goldfish

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI guys. After a series of upgrades and whatnot, I finally have my ideal tank for my goldfish. It's 29 gallons. I've found that the goldfish really do become placid and friendly toward one another when they have enough room to spread out their fins. There's no bullying between the two. That was a surprise to me. I thought the smaller goldfish (1.25" - the larger one is 3") would simply get picked on so much it would die of stress. I did observe some bullying behavior when I introduced them to each other in my 20 gallon long tank (which is now a tropical tank), but not now that I've upgraded.

So, now that I've accommodated the fish, I'd like to know some tips and tricks, cleaning suggestions, maybe a suggestion of how often I should do stuff. Plus I'd like to know from someone who has experience keeping goldfish in a 29 gallon tank how large they are likely to get. Will I have to upgrade again at some point in the future, or is that all subjective? They seem to be very happy in this tank, which really makes me happy too.

Er... is anybody going to respond?

I'm talking about ideas like how to prevent bullying from ever taking place or how to stop it once it starts, if it starts ... how to ensure that both fish get the right amount of food, how to make sure the small one doesn't stay small when the larger one just keeps on getting larger ... and how large I should expect these fish to become in their new 29 gallon.

Hello, I've merged your posts since they were back to back. Thanks!
Ken

Attachments

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI there, I know nothing about goldfish but with other fish having hiding places around the place and ornaments that break line of sight between fish can help with aggression issues. Your tank is pretty bare so I'd throw a few more decorations in for a start if you have aggression issues or start to see any.

I didn't think goldfish were aggressive at all but like I said I know nothing about them really.

As for feeding to ensure everyone gets their fair share I'm not sure if that's something you' have to worry about but with my 85G community tank I like to put food at both ends of the tank so it spreads out more and gives my less aggressive fish a chance to get in there.

I hope someone with goldfish experience can help you out a bit more than me.

yukoandk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello and congrats on the upgrade. Good to hear your goldfish are doing well.

My goldfish I've kept for almost a year and a half have all tripled in their size. I'd say they were about 1.5" when I first got them and now a little over 4" with their tail. I think your two goldfish will be quite happy in a 29gal for a while. You've heard fancy goldfish will grow to be 6"+, in some cases much larger. Goldfish will easily learn to eat out of your fingers--this way you can sneak a few extra bites for the little one if you're worried about him not getting enough to eat. As I mentioned in your previous posts, it's not likely they will continue with the bullying acts after settling into a new tank/tank mates. Adding plants/objects in the tank for them to swim around and hide will help them feel safer and more comfortable like Jeffcameron says. If the problem of aggression ever occurs, you may like to try rearranging the tank with plants/objects or using a tank divider in an emergency as other members have suggested.

Once a week water change should keep the tank healthy while your fish are small. Amount of water to be changed will partly depend on your nitrate level--change enough water to prevent the nitrate level from creeping up. I aI'm for below 20 pmm with my tanks. As your fish get bigger and the waste/bioload grows down the road, you will need to increase the frequency/volume of water change accordingly. This is the waste management I was referring to before.

One thing I will add is that you may like to think about getting a second filter for your tank. It's is always beneficial to have an extra load of good bacteria, and extra/cross circulation of the water. Hope this helps, good luck.

Foolyfoo

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They look just like my two! Cute!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your fish are still babies I'm afraid you're not done upgrading yet.

Foolyfoo

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know this isn't my thread but what would you say is the perfect tank size for 2 fantail goldfish? (sorry everyone)

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Foolyfoo said:
I know this isn't my thread but what would you say is the perfect tank size for 2 fantail goldfish? (sorry everyone)
I had kept a fancy goldfish in a 29, just 1, and it was just too small. Mine is full grown though, with a body the size of a baseball. I think a 55 in in order.

Foolyfoo

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jaysee said:
I had kept a fancy goldfish in a 29, just 1, and it was just too small. Mine is full grown though, with a body the size of a baseball. I think a 55 in in order.
Thanks! I geuss I'll need to upgade in the future then

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Foolyfoo said:
Thanks! I geuss I'll need to upgade in the future then
I think I'll pass on upgrades for a while, until my fish get to be about 4.5" or so.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads