Suggestions for either a new tank or treatment for MTS?

1. minceymeatpie Initiate Member

Hi all,

So I am hooked - totally hooked into this fish business and now considering buying a bigger tank, cycling it fishless and setting up a planted aquarium using the method one of the people here posted in the members' pictures showing how he used cardboard, potting soil and gravel to set up a dirted tank.

Please note the word "fishless" in relation to cycling LOL I have learned my lesson.

I am considering the Fluval 55g "Premium Aquarium Kit" but am not sure if it is worth it. I know a lot of people buy tanks used but so far the used tanks I've found on local buy and sell places, kijiji et al. I'm not too sure if they are reasonable prices (e.g. 95g with stand, filter and light = $1000, 88g with stand and undergravel filters = 1000, 40g with stand, filter and Aqua Glo lights $250)

The 55g kit includes Aqua-Glo 40W light, M200 heater, canopy, C4 power filter and other things I don't really care about. It is retailing together with its stand for about $420. But I don't know much about the quality of the kit's components ie if I'll have to fork out more money to upgrade the components. I'm planning to use an additional Aquaclear 70 for filtration.

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a treatment for MTS? Perhaps I can put it in my water daily...

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I am sorry, there is no cure for MTS. I am afraid it is terminal. I am going on my eighth tank... getting one this weekend, a 280 this time. They keep getting bigger too.

3. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Looks like a decent kit, I prefer to build-my-own, but it's personal preference.

On the MTS - I believe every method has been tried, and I'm sorry, there is no known cure....... possibly hypnotherapy :giggle:

Or maybe get a black-board and start writing lines "I will not start a new fish tank, I will not buy more equipment" :;laughing

4. cameronpalte Member Member

For a 55g kit I recommend the Aqueon Deluxe 55g Aquarium Kit, got mine at pet co~ $120 (pet pals card needed.) has filter, food, conditioner, net, heater, glass tank. I like this if you don't care about the other things.

5. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I can honestly say I have found the cure for MTS. Move to a smaller place! lol Seriously! I moved from a two bedroom, two bath house (mobile home) to a 300 square foot (if I'm lucky) studio apartment (which is actually just half of a four-car garage). I went from twelve tanks down to four (possibly five tomorrow...we'll see if I end up getting that betta I was looking at).

Oh, and just a note on the kit you're looking at. 40 watts over a 55gal tank is NOTHING. Even if it's T5HO, you aren't looking at much. For a serious planted tank, you're going to want a good T5HO light fixture, which can set you back about $200.

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry there is no known cure for MTS, I started with one tank, a 20gal high and "dreamed" of a larger tank, I now own, 3 10s, 2 20 highs, 1 20 long, 2 29s, 1 33 long, 1 37 tall, 1 40gal acrylic, 2 75gal, and 1 150 gal. I still want more lol

as for buying tanks, all but one of my tanks are used. I have had no issues with them, as for price, (all of this will be in USD btw)
    for just a tank I will pay around $0.50 per gallon at best but usually try for closer to $0.30 per gallon
    a tank with some but not all accessories I will usually offer $0.50 to $0.75 per gallon for
    A tank with all accessories but no stand will usually net $1.00 per gallon
    A tank with it all plus a full stand and canopy will usually get me up near $1.50 per gallon.

Thats what I offer to people when I am interested, do I always get the deal, HECK NO, but I also tell people that I have cash waiting in a pocket and usually within a few days I get another offer on about 50% of my emails.

I also pay close attention to adds and have learned where to skimp and where to try and just buy part of the kit at first and then later offer them a take it all price as ill "be nice and help them out and take it all"

Buying a used piece of equipment is all about being a better salesman than they are. I have talked many a person down from hundreds to under a hundred for the setup just by knowing what I'm looking at and reading the person selling the equipment.

The other way I have bought tanks for a good price is to just show up with out discussing a sale price at all and wave cash around, you would be surprised how many people really just want these things out of their way and will take a bigger price cut because you are there, ready to take it away, and have cash.

7. minceymeatpie Initiate Member

Thanks for all the replies... I live in Newfoundland and it seems people are deluded when it comes to pricing their used tanks! Got a response from the person selling the 88 gallon Fluval tank with undergravel filters which I don't want, stand, plants, rocks, etc. They want $1000(!!!!) which works out to over $10 a gallon... Seems like these kinds of prices do combat MTS.

pirahna, how on earth do you keep up with 14 tanks? You must spend every weekend doing partial water changes on every one of them?!

8. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Keeping my tanks heavily planted really helps ease the pain of the work, however the 14 are all not currently running. Some are actually going to end up converting over to salt tanks so for now its more of a wait and work it out system.

As for the price, thats insane, But then again about everyone around me swears there 55gal tank setup that they loved having and is basically brand new...only used for 8 months! is still worth over 1,000 as well. Going back to the offer, just make an offer but always include that negotiations are possible. Eventually people will realize that they will not get their asking price and will drop the price. Either that or someone will pay it and more power to them.

9. ploopy Member Member

Definately no cure for mts.Many years ago I had 18 tanks and sold them all,I am back up to 15 tanks which 2 were just bought over the weekend and will be setup eventually.I pay less than a $1 a gallon unless it has some good equipment then just a little more.I like putting my own filters,tops,and heaters on rather than the kits.

10. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree here completely, The only thing I will say is that I like to keep some of these other items as emergency backups for when the uh oh moments happen. I have a couple of garbage filters that I hang onto just because they can pump water. There is also a couple of the preset heaters that are in that draw just in case something fails I have something to put into the tank while I get what I really want for the tank.