Suggestions for compatible fish with platies Question

Discussion in 'Platy' started by pyradorgirl, Mar 26, 2010.

1. p

pyradorgirl New Member Member

I have a new 20 gallon tank and have four male platies (1 sunburst wag, 1 red wag, 1 twin bar, and 1 dwarf sunset (just found out he's a dwarf) plus a pleco. I would like to add a couple of panda cories to the tank but would like a couple of other fish, something compatible and colorful. I like Angelfish but I know they need a larger tank and I don't want them nipping my platy boys. The four males have their little tussels but seem to be getting along. The red wag chases the dwarf around the tank but I have 2 hornworts, 2 java ferns, 1 moneywort plants plus a castle figure and a rock cave. The twinbar and the sunburst wag seem to be inseparable and hang out in the castle together. Any suggestions for other fish? Thanks.:;fb:;wv

2. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

I suggest mollies or guppies, possibly a school of tetras (there are many types). I find livebearers are easy and have great personalities (your platy are livebearers too). Swordtails are neat too. Possibly a type of ram but beware as they can be aggressive. Mollies are my favorite freshwater fish. Gold dust, black, silver,marble or dalmation; you can get sailfin or lyre tail of any variety. There are also baloon mollies (I don't like them though). Hope this gives ya some ideas.

3. rae64

rae64 Well Known Member Member

Personally I am going to have to disagree with ppate... I LOVE my balloon mollies!

They are like normal mollies rolled up into fun-sized packages.... so much personality! My balloons are adorable, sociable, and sweet. They get along great with all my other fish, and are just the cutest little babies. They are my favorite fish in my aquarium!

I would suggest perhaps a group of 3 girls.... eventually they will not have fry anymore. They will not mate with your platys (my male platys do not pay my girl balloon molly any mind) IME and are great little additions to my tank. I think you would really love them!

But, some people like them, some don't, which is just a matter of opinion.

4. ppate1977

I agree with you on the overall picture, as you said its just a matter of opinion.

5. OP
    OP
    p

I realy am looking for somethin other than mollies or livebearers. The tetras are an idea. What about dwarf guorami? I'm looking for a peaceful yet colorful fish.
    :;dogrun:;fb

6. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

I would second the tetra vote :). I have neons, but I think glowlights, black neons, and cardinal tetras would also add some color and size variety to your tank. If you go with small tetras, make sure you have a decent sized school of them as they are more active in larger schools. I only have 3 left and they hide a lot :/.

7. ppate1977

I have a bunch of neon tetra in my larger tank (11) and they are cool. The more the merrier. I just got some cardinal tetras for my smaller tank and they look great too. I don't know enough about guormies to advise you on them.

8. OP
    OP
    p

I ended up getting three little panda cories and 4 red serpae tetras(that my husband picked out). Everyone seems to be settled in the tank. The tetras don't bother the platies although the red wag sometimes chases the tetras (he's a bully in the tank and chases the dwarf sunset alot). Othe than that, I think I have a peaceful tank. :;fb

9. rae64

rae64 Well Known Member Member

great news! Sounds like a lovely tank :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice