Suggestions For Cleaning Water Spots On Outside Of The Aquarium?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JaeV, Aug 18, 2019.

1. JaeV

JaeVNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello! I have three small planted aquariums and I want them to look as clean and clear as possible at ALL TIMES. From all my fiddling about water splashes about then makes little annoying water spots. What are your methods? Is there like a RainX for the outside of aquariums? Is it as simple as wipe with a wet towel then with a dry towel?

2. FrostedFlakes

FrostedFlakesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +543
    Experience:
    2 years
    I just wipe it with a towel

3. Drav

DravValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +59
    i usually wipe it off with a damp piece of cloth or something, its not hard to get rid of

4. Mongo75

Mongo75Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +237
    I use windex sprayed onto a paper towel. Vinegar or ammonia sprayed onto a towel would work too. Just keep it out of the tanks.

5. Fish0n

Fish0nValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +265
    Experience:
    5 years
    I keep a towel stored under my tank for my hands after messing in the tank and then always wipe down the outside right then as well before they dry.

6. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,200
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome to FishLore!

I too will spray window cleaner on a paper towel and wipe off the glass.

7. OP
    OP
    JaeV

JaeVNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I’ll try the window cleaner! And a towel under the tank haha I’m sure I can find some cute ones

8. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,703
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you choose not to use any kind of cleaner you may want to consider a magic eraser. They work well for both the inside and outside of the glass.

I think some of them now have some kind of cleaner built into them so be sure to get the original with no cleaner added to them. I actually bought a huge package of melamine pads from Amazon. It is just a magic eraser with a different name thus a lower price.

9. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Experience:
    2 years
    i use lens cleaning spray and paper towels. if i have heavy duty hard water stains on my glass lids, then i use white vinegar and rinse with water.

10. Sheryl

SherylValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    1 year
    I just wipe it with a dry paper towel as soon as I "slash/drip". If I find something there later that I missed, just damp paper towel, followed by dry if needed. I haven't had to use anything else. All sparkles. LOL

11. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,368
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The magic eraser pads work great inside and outside.and do not scratch acrylic tanks. Just be sure to get the original variety as it is the only one that does not have chemicals added to it. For just water spots though, I just use a damp paper towel followed by a dry one. Works every time.

12. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,533
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I don't use paper towels or any abraisives (including magic erasers) on my acrylics. They can cause tiny scratches that dull the patina over time. Magic eraser works great for stubborn water spots on glass exteriors though. The best thing i've found is to just plain white vinegar, on a cloth. I wipe the tank down and dry it with another cloth immediately. If you make it part of your weekly post water change schedule, you'll never have a problem with persistent spots.