Suggestions For Cleaning Water Spots On Outside Of The Aquarium?

JaeV

Reactions
Hello! I have three small planted aquariums and I want them to look as clean and clear as possible at ALL TIMES. From all my fiddling about water splashes about then makes little annoying water spots. What are your methods? Is there like a RainX for the outside of aquariums? Is it as simple as wipe with a wet towel then with a dry towel?

Drav

Reactions
I usually wipe it off with a damp piece of cloth or something, its not hard to get rid of

Fish0n

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 years
I keep a towel stored under my tank for my hands after messing in the tank and then always wipe down the outside right then as well before they dry.

jdhef

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

I too will spray window cleaner on a paper towel and wipe off the glass.

OP
J

JaeV

Reactions
I’ll try the window cleaner! And a towel under the tank haha I’m sure I can find some cute ones

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
If you choose not to use any kind of cleaner you may want to consider a magic eraser. They work well for both the inside and outside of the glass.

I think some of them now have some kind of cleaner built into them so be sure to get the original with no cleaner added to them. I actually bought a huge package of melamine pads from Amazon. It is just a magic eraser with a different name thus a lower price.

midna

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
I use lens cleaning spray and paper towels. if I have heavy duty hard water stains on my glass lids, then I use white vinegar and rinse with water.

Sheryl

Reactions
Experience
1 year
I just wipe it with a dry paper towel as soon as I "slash/drip". If I find something there later that I missed, just damp paper towel, followed by dry if needed. I haven't had to use anything else. All sparkles. LOL

Dch48

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
The magic eraser pads work great inside and outside.and do not scratch acrylic tanks. Just be sure to get the original variety as it is the only one that does not have chemicals added to it. For just water spots though, I just use a damp paper towel followed by a dry one. Works every time.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't use paper towels or any abraisives (including magic erasers) on my acrylics. They can cause tiny scratches that dull the patina over time. Magic eraser works great for stubborn water spots on glass exteriors though. The best thing i've found is to just plain white vinegar, on a cloth. I wipe the tank down and dry it with another cloth immediately. If you make it part of your weekly post water change schedule, you'll never have a problem with persistent spots.

New Threads