Suggestions For Bowl To Tank Cycle?

Hegrey

Reaction score
Hi All- love to have some suggestions; I've got an unusual situation (for me). Little background, I have four separate 3.5 gallon, established betta tanks. I've always done fishless cycles then purchased my livestock post.

Now, long story short, I have a rehomed betta in a bowl that I'm taking on (probably less than 1 gallon). Surprisingly, the water's pretty decent- he's got great ph, nitrates, nitrites, & ammonia, so he's not in as dire straights as I thought-

I have a tank I can clean out and cycle, in the meantime he's hanging out in the bowl. I'm looking for suggestions for the smoothest transition. Media from the other tanks? A full switchover w/ the bowl's current water and media? Would that be enough to seed the tank, or better stick with conventional methods then acclimate him and his media? Any suggestions welcome!

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Use a bit of media to cycle the tank.

I wouldn't hold the betta in the bowl.

It's better to do a fish in cycle than using a bowl.

Hegrey

Reaction score
75g Discus Tank said:
Use a bit of media to cycle the tank.

I wouldn't hold the betta in the bowl.

It's better to do a fish in cycle than using a bowl.
That was my first thought- sort of the lesser of two evils, but the bowl's levels are actually perfect atm, so that's what's giving me pause. The one fish-in cycle I ever did (first tank), it took me many months to repair a nasty outcropping of fin rot. So I'm a little hesitant.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hegrey said:
That was my first thought- sort of the lesser of two evils, but the bowl's levels are actually perfect atm, so that's what's giving me pause. The one fish-in cycle I ever did (first tank), it took me many months to repair a nasty outcropping of fin rot. So I'm a little hesitant.[/QUOTE
The quality of the water will drop worse in a bowl. It may seem perfect now,but the quality will drop quicker as there is less water to dilute the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. The quality will be much worse than a fish-in cycling tank. also, the temp will drop. It's more dangerous to keep the betta in the bowl than in a cycling tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom