Suggestions For A Clean Up Crew For My 15 Gallon?

josh.thomas02

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm really struggling to find a clean up crew for my fifteen gallon. It currently houses a single gardneri killifish, soon to be a trio. Is there anything that would be able to survive in a tank with these guys? I've tried RCS... Didn't work out well. Not sure if other shrimp species would survive, but I'm simply looking for anything that'd eat decaying plant matter and the leftovers of the killis.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

WillR1496

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Amanos and ghost shrimp are definitely bigger than RCS. I have 4 Ghost shrimp..actually 1 is missing..not sure where it went but the other 3 are much bigger than my RCS and CRS. For snails, I have nerites and a mystery snail. Those are some lazy snails as they don't do much for my tanks. My shrimp put in more work. However, if you want to try a snail then try the nerites.

Punkin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What do you mean by clean up crew? I ask because nothing replaces cleaning it yourself. However, if you want a little help with some algae here and there, in my experience, I have 2 nerite snails in my 20 gallon and they keep it pretty spotless of algae. You will still have to do your weekly water change and substrate vacuum. Hope this helps!

OP
J

josh.thomas02

Valued Member
Reaction score
Amanos and ghost shrimp are definitely bigger than RCS. I have 4 Ghost shrimp..actually 1 is missing..not sure where it went but the other 3 are much bigger than my RCS and CRS. For snails, I have nerites and a mystery snail. Those are some lazy snails as they don't do much for my tanks. My shrimp put in more work. However, if you want to try a snail then try the nerites.
I'd really like some amanos or ghost shrimp but I'm fairly confident they aren't even available in Australia. I would consider a nerite for the tank, I have two in my 40 gallon, only problem is the foods fed to my killis are meat-based, not sure if the nerite would be interested in that.

What do you mean by clean up crew? I ask because nothing replaces cleaning it yourself. However, if you want a little help with some algae here and there, in my experience, I have 2 nerite snails in my 20 gallon and they keep it pretty spotless of algae. You will still have to do your weekly water change and substrate vacuum. Hope this helps!
I definitely agree that cleaning by yourself is most effective. There are some places I can't get to in this tank and I like the addition of inverts or other small fish. The major reason however is the small water volume makes it difficult to collect all of the debris during a water change.

Last edited by a moderator:

WillR1496

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd really like some amanos or ghost shrimp but I'm fairly confident they aren't even available in Australia. I would consider a nerite for the tank, I have two in my 40 gallon, only problem is the foods fed to my killis are meat-based, not sure if the nerite would be interested in that.
You'd have to feed them separately. so feed the killis and then drop something in the tank for the snail.

caitlinemm

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I always love going with ghost shrimp. It's really up to the fish in the tank though, I've had issues with my occupants snacking on their clean up crew before. It's annoying but it's gonna happen.

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I use Darwin Algae Eater, but then again shrimps and killifish dont really go well. Killis are professional shrimp killers.

Your best bet might just be introducing regular ramshorn snails. They'll get to the uneaten food, and help a little with the algae too.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 6 16.2%

Top Bottom