Suggestions for a centerpiece fish

ailysh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! I'm new to fish and to this forum. I was given a twenty gallon high tank that is currently cycling. I have no fish in it yet, I've read all about cycling so I'm good on that. I'd like to stock it with golden white clouds and cherry red shrimp ( which I understand can tolerate cooler temps) when the time comes and one center piece fish. I'm having trouble finding an appropriate centerpiece fish for that size of tank and temperature requirements (65-75°F). My ph is 8.2 from the tap. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Alyssa

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

ailysh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the suggestion! So honey gourami would do well without a heater? I'd really liked that one but checked it off the list because I thought it needs warmer water.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well honey gouramis can tolerate 22-27 degrees Celsius so if you could keep your tank around 22 (72F) it should be fine.

Nympxzie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have two honey gourami, they are very small and beautiful! Oto could work in your tank if it's heavily planted. It's not a centerpiece, but i think 2 different schooling / shoaling species look very nice together.
I believe celestial pearl danios can tolerate cool temps and weather loaches but I don't know much about them

ailysh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!
I have two honey gourami, they are very small and beautiful! Oto could work in your tank if it's heavily planted. It's not a centerpiece, but i think 2 different schooling / shoaling species look very nice together.
I believe celestial pearl danios can tolerate cool temps and weather loaches but I don't know much about them
Yes, CPDs can but they aren't a centerpiece fish, they'd need a group of 6+. And weather loaches are way too big for this size tank.

How about guppies?

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to fishlore!

Yes, CPDs can but they aren't a centerpiece fish, they'd need a group of 6+. And weather loaches are way too big for this size tank.

How about guppies?
How does the gourami suggestion work for a 20H? I've only kept them in a 20L before.

ailysh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I'll do honey gourami. I really liked that one from the start. Thanks again!

On second thought, what about a Florida flag fish? Does anybody have experience with those? They seem to enjoy cooler temps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nympxzie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just did a quick scan. Your tank is just big enough to house them, they only get to be 2" and seem to do well in "well researched communities". You can probably house 1 male in your tank.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, a florida flag fish would work. Males can be aggressive though, but seem to be less aggressive in cooler temps.

ailysh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awesome! Thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom