Suggestions For A 55g Community Tank With An Angelfish?

javis

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of cycling my first 50 gallon aquarium which is in my family's living room and I've got an angelfish from a 20 gallon (which was the biggest I've had until now) that's going to be moving in there once it's cycled, but I would like to get any suggestions for fish to include within the tank that would most likely get along with the angelfish, I'm interested in adding a good sized school of some type of fish for when people visit, but I would also like to get an algae eater since the tank gets some sunlight towards the end of the day and there's probably a good chance it'll start growing, but I'm open to any suggestions!

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are certain cories that won't go with angelfish due to the temperature ranges. I think small tetras like Lemon, Cardinals will do well, rummy nose.

If you have one angel you can surround it with maybe 20 tetras.

javis

Valued Member
Reaction score
david1978 said:
Would depend on what colors you want and how many. A nice sized school of something like cardinal tetras or a huge school of ember tetras. A bristlenose pleco or clown pleco would fit the tank nicely. Cories are neat as well. Im not real good with exact numbers of each. Lol
I've had Panda cories and I love them! I might consider those, but I love the idea of a clown pleco

Fashooga said:
There are certain cories that won't go with angelfish due to the temperature ranges. I think small tetras like Lemon, Cardinals will do well, rummy nose.

If you have one angel you can surround it with maybe 20 tetras.
Lemon tetras seem to school very nicely and they've got a good size so I'm interested in them now! I would consider Cardinals for their color, but they seem a bit too small in my opinion

javis

Valued Member
Reaction score
ljg said:
Cichlids might be good.
Also, I have heard angelfish might go after the cardinal fish due to their size.
I've heard that too, but it's not a guarantee, but it is also a risk when my angel eventually gets bigger, but I've heard cichlids get aggressive, not sure though

javis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Becknewt24 said:
Clown loaches will be too be big. Do you like stripped kuhli loaches tho?
Yes, those are pretty, but don't clown loaches grow at a very slow rate?

Becknewt24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
javis said:
Yes, those are pretty, but don't clown loaches grow at a very slow rate?
I feel like I’ve heard that somewhere, but I’m not quite sure. You could get them if they do in fact go slow, only be prepared to give them up once they can’t fit anymore.

javis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Becknewt24 said:
I feel like I’ve heard that somewhere, but I’m not quite sure. You could get them if they do in fact go slow, only be prepared to give them up once they can’t fit anymore.
Yeah, I heard that because they grow so slowly, their prices sky rocket the bigger they are

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 35 gallon community with 1 angelfish, corydoras, rasboras, a guppy, and an albino bristled nosed pleco and a honey gourami.

I have to say my angel is a bully. She is about 2 years old & a fair size. I think she is responsible for the occasional tears in guppy tails. I sort of wish I didn’t have her, but she certainly makes a nice “centerpiece “ fish”.
One thing you might want to do is browse the Stocking subforum. Look at what other people have done to help you inform your choices. Also use YouTube to watch videos of the fish swimming. This crossed some fish off my list & was very helpful. Good luck! Sounds like a fun tank!
I have brilliant rasboras, but wish I had gone with something more colorful for the schooling fish because they are hard to see from across the room.
Neons are snacks for angelfish. Cardinals are an option, I just found them super delicate so I stopped trying. Someone here suggested long fin cherry barbs to me.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom