Suggestions For A 20 G Community With Higher Ph ?

1. Hego_Damask

Hego_Damask Valued Member Member

I planned on setting up a 20 gallon community & eventually try to add my Betta fish. I'm new at this hobby & didn't realise my city's ph was in the higher side, at around 8.2. I already have a school of glowlight tetras & they seem to be doing fine.Id like to add a school of corys. Any suggestions on what fish or type of fish would be fine for that level of ph ? I want them to thrive, not survive!

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

If the supplier for your local fish stores breed the fish in local waters, many of the fish will have already adapted to the higher pH. You could lower your pH with peat moss and driftwood, if you don't mind the water browning a little from the tannins. I wouldn't use chemical buffers however, stability is more important than perfection here.

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

My cories do fine in my 8.0 pH. I take longer to acclimate because of it but have never had a problem.
    Edit: I never try to buffer. There are fish I can not keep because of my pH (Discus, crystal shrimp) but buffering leads to pH swings and most fish can adapt to a higher pH. The swings that happen sometimes with buffering, they can not handle.

4. OP
    OP
    Hego_Damask

Hego_Damask Valued Member Member

The only lfs I have are Petco/Petmart, so, I'm not sure where they get their fish from. I don't use chemicals to alter the levels, so I have a fairy large pice of driftwood already in the tank, as well as peat moss, but I'm not a fan of the colour change & will be removing it. I did a ph test of my tap & it showed 8.8, so I added some peat moss, however since then I've have pretty steady readings from my tap of 8.2. I'm weary of ordering fish online & them not being able to handle the acclimation so I suppose I'll have to wait out my lfs's for them to have the fish I'd want

5. toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

Within reason most fish will adapt to a certain p.h. as long as the p.h. stays steady. Rapid swings are where the problems are. I have cory's in 8.0 and they do fine. As long as you acclimate properly most species will be fine in p.h. 8.0. I have always acclimated slowly, but now it seems the "plop and drop" acclimation is becoming more accepted. Many very experienced fishkeeper youtubers now suggest this method. I've tried it twice now with great success.

6. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

A lot of the fish stores use RO and have a pH of 7. I test the water in the bag when I am floating because of my 8.0. My last fish came from a hobbist with a pH of 6.2, It took me 7 1/2 hours to acclimate. Over two weeks and no osmotic shock. They are doing well and that long day was well worth it.

7. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

"Plop and drop" should only be used when dealing with fish that have been shipped. Outside of that, all fish should be drip acclimated to some degree.

8. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Most fish adapt. As long as you acclimate. It is better to have a stable pH than a perfect one.

9. bNissan

bNissan Valued Member Member

A stable pH is a perfect pH