Suggestions For 2.5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by WillR1496, Apr 19, 2019.

1. WillR1496Valued MemberMember

I recently upgraded to a 30g tank for my betta and some other fish. However, I now have a 2.5g Fluval Spec Tank with only 2 anubias plants and driftwood that is collecting algae. It has a nice little carpet of algae on it but nothing crazy. I like the way it looks.

So I went and got 3 tiny horned nerite snails. They're about 1/8th of an inch tiny. I plan to transfer them to the 30g once they get a little bigger. Last week I added 1 red cherry shrimp and 1 black/blue shrimp.

I want to add a fish in there that is NOT a betta. I was thinking of maybe a tetra but then my wife made the point that we should keep those in schools and not alone. What would you all recommend?

2. RyanC14Valued MemberMember

Maybe a single endler? Idk I don't really think any fish should be kept in tanks smaller than 5g. I would just stick with shrimp and snails.

3. CourtneycatNew MemberMember

Your shrimps and snails are the best for a small tank. Any fish will feel cramped in there. You could just use it to grow out your plants, not sure how many you have?

4. ETNsilverstarWell Known MemberMember

About the only fish you could have in a 2.5g is a betta, and many will say that's really pushing it. Just get lots of shrimp!

5. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Hmmm, maybe 2-3 male heteranda Formosa, they get around half an inch, females get larger so none of those. They do need a moderate to heavily planted tank though, as they're skittish.

6. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Pygmy Corys are very tiny as well, for bottom feeders...very tiny little fish...

7. SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

A single scarlet badis?

8. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Ehhhhhh usually those are reserved for 10 gals and up, but you could...but only 1 though, as the males can and will usually fight! lol

9. FahnFishlore VIPMember

10. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

VERY good choice though! If I had my old nano, I would for sure. They're really really tiny. And the females are even smaller than the males.

11. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I would just do a shrimp and snail tank ONLY, the only fish sutibule for a 2.5 gal. Tank, is a betta!:)

Edit: @Fahn , makes a very good point, I don’t know how to keep African Dwarf frogs, but many people here have them!!:)

12. guppgirlValued MemberMember

I would make it a shrimp dedicated tank. A colony of red cherries or blue rilli can be very fun, active, and interesting to watch, without trying to cramp a fish in there.
    Anything other than a betta that is small enough to for a tank that size, are types that do best in groups too large to keep in a 2.5.

13. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Pygmy cories need a group of 6, those won't work.
    A single scalet badis may, but they need live food essentially forever, and are not for beginners.
    African dwarf frogs should have a larger tank and friends.

14. RyanC14Valued MemberMember

Maybe a single mosquitofish could work, but they may not live in your area.

15. WillR1496Valued MemberMember

Thanks everyone. Reason I went to a 30g was cause of the betta. that's why I don't want another. I could tell he was suffering because his color started to change to a white/greyish. As soon as I put him in the 30g, he got his color back and looked happier cause he had more room to swim. The only thing I'm worried about is the opening in the tank that is part of the filer system in case the water gets kind of low. If the shrimp have babies then they can easier get into there and get sucked into the filter. I know people cover that part up but I can't be doing that since I see that is a "safety feature". Then I wonder how hard it would be to clean that tank as I'd have to do it weekly/bi-weekly.

16. WillR1496Valued MemberMember

So just an update. I wish I would of taken a before picture though. So I went with the suggestion on shrimp. My wife purchased 2 red cherry, 2 blue, 2 yellow and 2 green/yellow striped shrimp. They weren't in there not even 48hrs and they nearly cleaned the entire tank. The driftwood had some algae on it still as of last night and when I woke up this morning it was gone.

Now to figure out a way to feed these guys cause I have regular sized gravel and all the food will fall deep in between them. I think I may need to switch out the gravel at some point. for now the only thing I can think of is using a cap from some flake food and turn it upside down and place some food in that.

17. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

18. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Nice!! Well, keep us posted, and send some pictures!!:)

19. ETNsilverstarWell Known MemberMember

20. WillR1496Valued MemberMember