Suggestions For 10g Split

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by HNS, Apr 16, 2018.

1. HNS

HNS New Member Member

Hey everyone! So I'm in the process of upgrading my female betta to a 10 gallon I'm hoping to split. I have a nerite snail but my betta is a jerk and tried to kill him so he's going on one side of the tank and she'll have the other side to herself. Can I keep any fish on the side with the snail? I was thinking 2 female platies or a handful of neon tetras. My filtration can handle that (according to aqadvisor.com at least) but I can't find anything definitive about the activity levels of platies or other small freshwater fish. I'm also worried about creating a ton of fry since I have neither the time nor resources to house fry. My other idea was to give my betta around 7 gallons of the tank and heavily plant the other 3 gallons and keep 2 nerite snails over there.

Any other advice about dividing a 10 gallon would be much appreciated! The tank is currently going through a fishless cycle and my betta and snail will get moved early in May.

2. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

I have some platies and they are pretty mellow. Neons would be cool because they school and stay small. I would only put about 5 in a 5 gallon.

3. OP
    OP
    HNS

HNS New Member Member

I was thinking 5 or 6 tetras so that's great.

If I were to go the Platy route do you think I could get 2 different kinds? As weird as it is I'd really like to differentiate them so I can tell who's who which is my one reservation with the neons.

4. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

You can get different types they will all get along. I would also plant their side as well they like to swim in and around the plants.

5. OP
    OP
    HNS

HNS New Member Member

They would be with the nerite so that side would definitely be heavily planted. Thanks so much for all the advice! I'll probably get two different colored platys for the non-betta side of the tank to hang out with my snail.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Neons need a larger tank than a 10 gal, so a divided 10 gal definitely isn't big enough.

Neons and platies also need cooler water than the betta, so those wouldn't work.

What about a few male endlers on the other side?

7. OP
    OP
    HNS

HNS New Member Member

I'm not sure there's anywhere around me that sells endlers. I'm mainly limited to Petsmart and Petco. Endlers look a lot like guppies, would a couple of male guppies work as well?

8. TexasDomer

Endlers are smaller than guppies. Sometimes Petco and Petsmart have them. Petco can order them for you too. If you do male guppies, I'd only do 2-3.

9. OP
    OP
    HNS

HNS New Member Member

Ok, my current tank filtration can only handle the addition 3 guppies so that would definitely be my max.

If I did Endlers my tank could handle up to 7 but I wouldn't want that many. Is there a certain number of males that will coexist peacefully?

Thank you so much for your input btw!

10. TexasDomer

It's not filtration that I'm concerned with, but physical space. 5-6 male guppies would stock a 10 gal, and you're dividing it in half, reducing the physical space.

If you do endlers, I'd do 5 -7 males.

11. Bogart16

Bogart16 Valued Member Member

You could do a dwarf frog on the other side. They're my go to for betta tank mates.

12. GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007 Well Known Member Member

You could do Briggitae Rasboras, Celestial Pearl Danios, or one small tetra that I forget at the moment.....

13. GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007 Well Known Member Member

*Ember Tetras

14. TexasDomer

CPDs need much cooler water than a betta.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice