Suggestions for 10g snail control

Discussion in 'Snails' started by OhMyGoshman, Mar 23, 2010.

1. O

OhMyGoshman New Member Member

Well, it happened, after researching snails for my 30 gal to buy one that WOULDN'T breed, today I woke up to find that my 10 gal is home to some snails that hitchhiked on one of my plants. Does anyone have any suggestions on a fish/invert that would eat the snails that would fit into my 10 gal and not bug my platy? I really don't want to be picking snails out of my tank for the rest of my life.

2. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hmmm, thats a tough one.
    The only solution I can think of is move your platys to your 30G and then get a dwarf puffer or 2 for the 10G, they will love the snails!

3. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Assuming these are MTS, I find them very beneficial and helpful to the tank, despite their bad rep: they aerate the gravel and eat any uneated food to prevent "toxic pockets" of ammonia from appearing in your gravel. Very useful.

In your 10 gallon tank, I doubt that you'll notice them. However, if there ever is a population explosion, that means that you are overfeeding. On a normal feeding regime for the platy, you should rarely notice the snails.

4. B

Bobby Callaghan Valued Member Member

you can get products that knock the snails out for a short period of time, if you use a gravel cleaner then, it would remove most of them. And also it depends on what snails they are like Elodea said, if they are regular pesty good for nothing snails get rid of them, should they be useful keep them. :;hi1

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello OhMyGoshMan,

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the Freshwater Invertebrates/Snails section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

6. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi Matt, I'd advise to not harm these snails as they can be benificial to your tank as Elodea mentioned above. But if you want to see how many you actually have in your tank, you can place some cut cucumber or lettuce overnight and in the morning you should be able to count how many you actually have on the vege.

Best of luck! :;hf

7. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately, these products affect the beneficial bacteria and the fish, and will probably wreak havoc in such a small tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice