Status
Not open for further replies.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,

I was just wondering what stocking options I have with this tank. It is currently going through the fishless cycle. I was wondering if I could get Ram Cichlids or any cichlids for that matter, b/c an employee from my LFS said I could (I don't know if I can trust him though ???. Is this possible? What stocking options do I have? Thanks!

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have seen places selling rams say 10 is enough, however I think you will find most people here would suggest 20-30 minimum for rams. This is because rams (especially German rams) are very sensitive to water quality and the water quality in a 10 gallon can get really bad in no time flat (you could test the water before you leave for work and it be good, then come home to dead rams from poor water quality). Cichlid options in a ten are pretty much limitted to the species I listed above. I set my ten up in January and wanted cichlids and the people here pointed me to those two exclusively.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Regular mollies get up to 4" so they'd do better in a 20g minimum. But the smaller balloon mollies might work, though only 2-4 I'd say.

I can't really say on the guppies, though.

But check out those small cichlids, they're really cool!

-Lisa

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd suggest 15 gallons raw minimum for the rams, 20-30 way better. They like a lot of territory, being cichlids, even if it's only one pair.

If you haven't stocked the tank yet and are willing for a species-only tank, how about 3 shell-dweller cichlids? Tiny, yet very lively and beautiful!

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you get Guppies, you could only get about 3 of them or even fit in 4? But remember that it has to be in a 3:1 ratio of females and males. Or all females is acceptable but not all males as they will create aggression issues. IMO, the easiest stocking option for a 10 gal is a betta. If you want any other fish, then I'd go for a bigger tank. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.8%

Top Bottom