suggestions and advice please

Discussion in 'Brackish Tanks Forum' started by konyo, Dec 9, 2012.

1. k

konyo New Member Member

hi there guys,
    I,m looking into doing a 20gl brackish tank but not all to sure on what sort of equipment i will need.
    the fish i was looking at getting is 2 figure eight puffers, 2 knight gobys, mono sea angel and some kind of shrimp but not been able to find any that are brackish so any suggestions there would be great but also with the fish i want I,m not to sure if there compatible, so again any help there would be great.

thanks

2. RandomZoid

RandomZoid Valued Member Member

I don't know about compatibility of those fish listened but I know the equipment you will need.

20gl tank - duh
    A light
    Glass lid (unless light is part of a full plastic hood)
    Filter (150-200gph, I recommend aquaclear 200 for a 20gl tank)
    100w heater
    Marine Salt
    Gravel, Deco ect - duh

A brackish tank doesn't require any addition equipment than a freshwater. Just the salt.

I've heard that ghost shrimp are brackish but have been told they are not as well. I believe certain varieties may be and some are not, it might be hard to differentiate.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

A 20g isn't large enough to house all those fish. Why not consider a 29g (110L)? It has the same footprint but more volume. Then maybe you could have a single figure 8 (F8) and a knight goby (KG). The mono is a no go for either tank as they grow to 8" and should be kept in a school.

I've never kept knight gobies but I've researched them to death because I want one or two. I don't think more than 1 could be kept in a 20g L or a 29g because they are territorial. It may work for 2 KGs with no other tank mates. I'm just thinking that with 2 the F8 might not have his own area to sleep and such.

The equiptment for low end brackish water (BW) with an SG of 1.004-1.005 will be tha same as fresh water (FW). But you will need marine salt (not aquarium salt) and a mixing vessel (trash can or storage bin). It is best to mix the water a day before water changes. Most of us use a powerhead or pond pump to do this and those can also be used to pump the water from the vessel to the fish tank. A heater may also be needed.

I keep ghost shrimp in both my BW and FW setups. But keep in mind that they are food to a puffer. Sometimes puffers won't actively go for them but will pick them off when opportunity presents itself. I would still keep them as both cleaners and puffer entertainment. Nerite snails are a good cleaner tankmate as their foot is small and concealed under it's shell so a puffer can't bite it. 2-3 would be good.

Also keep in mind that a minimum tank size for a particular fish is just that...Minimum.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/jan09/figurepuffer.htm

]

HTH and good luck

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  4. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

I wanted some nerites for my own brackish tank but didn't think they'd be safe with the green spotted puffer. Thanks for the info!

5. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

In the puffer tank my nerites are only active at night for the most part. That obviously helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice