Suggestions? 75 gal

1. Jewellz Initiate Member

Hi all, I'm new here. :;hi1

I'm fishless cycling my tank right now, waiting for those nitrites to go down. In the meantime I'm trying to decide what to put in my tank. It's a 75 gallon, lightly planted with Java ferns, Anubias and Wisteria. My pH is 8, maybe slightly lower and I just added a chunk of driftwood. I don't have a hardness test except kh and that was 7 drops.

So far the only for sure fish going in the tank is a large common pleco, he's 6 years old and about 13 inches long, I'm rescuing him from my Mom's 29 gallon.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what would work well in my tank with the pH and all? From what I've read having a higher pH isn't so bad as long as you slowly acclimate and your pH is stable. I've considered cories, platies and danios or tetras of some sort. Ideally I'd like a few bigger colorful fish but no bigger than 4-5 inches long, plus a school of 8+ smaller fish for the middle to top. And I really like cories for the bottom but I'm not sure if my water would be okay or if competing with the pleco for food would be an issue. I also really like Angelfish but I think with my pH it could be a stretch...And platies aren't really turning me on too much because I don't want to have to deal with fry but I don't really want to watch them get eaten either haha.

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

Great to hear your tank is well on its way to being cycled! Good job :). To tell you the truth pH doesn't really matter anymore with domestically bred fish anymore. You gotta worry about it if you are buying wild caught fish. You can usually tell the difference between the two because pet shops will have a sign on them saying "Wild Caught ________" and the price will be higher. The reason it doesn't matter much is because domestically bred fish are now bred and raised all over the world in various pH levels. Also the fish at your LFS are most likely swimming in the same water that you have at home. That being said you always want to acclimate your fish slowly just to avoid any possible shock if the fish are not used to the pH in your tank. I always use drip acclimation which takes a while but there are also various other methods that work just as well.

As for stocking, what kind of community do you want? Semi-aggressive or peaceful? You could go fairly aggressive with Mbuna or Peacock cichlids but those would eat your plants so you'd have to remove them. Or you could go with something different like Tetras which would appreciate plants. If you like Angelfish, why don't you stock around them? How many were you thinking of having? You Pleco most likely won't be out-competed for food. They are really good at getting their food haha.

How about a stock like this:

2x Angelfish
    2x Kribensis Cichlid
    10x Harlequin Rasbora
    10x Cory (I like aeneus)
    1x Common Pleco

That gives you a nice active tank with small and large fish. The Angels will sorta be the centerpiece with the Harlies being the colorful activity. Kribs are great for adding activity, color, and personality. Corries are very active and funny to watch. There are also a lot of other combinations of fish that you could try. Just research some fish and let us know what you like and what you don't like.

3. Jewellz Initiate Member

Thanks for responding! I will probably be doing drip acclimation to all my fish, just to be on the safe side. I don't have a LFS nearby, I have a Petco about 30 minutes away with a pH of "about 7.4" and then some smaller shops about an hour away with a pH of about 7.6...So most likely will get fish from either source and want to acclimate them slowly to mine. I like your suggestions except for the cichlids, they seem like they could be tricky with territory and all that. I know angelfish can get territorial if they pair up but I've at least owned them before and know more about them. Minus the cichlids you pretty much nailed it on what I would go with if I didn't think pH was an issue, which I guess asking here I was just trying to confirm that it shouldn't be an issue as long as I acclimate slowly.

With the angelfish I was thinking about getting 6 quarter-sized ones, maybe smaller, one of the stores an hour away breeds their own angels and will take them back if they pair off and get territorial, they always have people wanting larger angels but they don't have enough space to keep tanks of growing angels so I could rehome the pair or the singles or maybe I'll get lucky and they'll all get along. And the rasboras are lovely and still small but big enough not to get eaten by growing angels. As for the cories I'd probably go with the peppered ones for a little individuality and my brother has had better luck with those than the aeneus kind, he's got a cory only tank setup with aeneus and peppered (paleatus?) and if I wait long enough I might be able to have some babies from him instead of buying them.

So I guess I'm thinking this:
    6x baby angels, with possible rehoming down to 2 later on
    10x harlequin rasboras
    10x peppered cories
    And 1 common pleco

Or what about serpae tetras? My mom has two that are constantly chasing and nipping at each other but that's probably because it's just them two. If I had a proper amount of them do you think they'd do alright with the angels and everything else? I know her two dont touch the pleco or the big pearl gourami she has they just go back and forth with each other. They have pretty color and they're a decent size.

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes the serpes are chasing each other from lack of tank mates, but no I wouldnt put them with angel fish. I used to have a large school of them in my 75gal with my rainbow fish and it did keep them alot calmer but from time to time they thought of nipping at my corys, my rainbows were too fast.

Are there any fish that you really want to have in that tank? Have there been any that you have seen that really catch you eye. with a tank this big you have alot of choice when it comes to stocking a tank, and some thought on the larger fish must be put in so that you can enjoy the tank for years to come.

5. cameronpalte Member Member

1x Common Pleco (I heard these can grow up to 2 feet which means this may be too long for a 75g eventually but not sure)

10x Panda Corydoras Catfish
    4x Swordtail (1m 3f) (male can hit 4inches w/out tail I recall)

Rescue the 2 serpae tetras from your mom and upgrade to 10

6. Jewellz Initiate Member

Yes, they can grow to 2 feet but seeing as how this guy is at least 6 years old and been in the 29 gallon his entire life he's probably done growing, he may even be stunted. My brother thinks his spine might be a little crooked from barely being able to turn around in his tank but it's hard to tell without putting him in a bigger tank and seeing if he can fully straighten out or not but he's like part of the family so I'm trying to give him a better quality of life and at least in my tank he'll have a cave that fits him and he'll be able to swim and turn around a bit.

I think I'll go with angelfish and no serpae tetras. If I decide I want to add more color after the angelfish and rasboras then I'll probably just get female platies or swordtails and hope they're not already pregnant when I get them.

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Awesome, glad you have found some fish that you like.

8. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

even if your females are prego....i'm sure that the angels would eat the fry. so you shouldn't have to worry about that. as far as the rainbowfish....i'd stay away from the australians and the bosemani. both get too big for a 75. i mean not *one* fish, but a proper school of them. but there are other rainbows that would work.

welcome to fishlore :)

9. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd like to add that Angelfish are actually cichlids. Kribs are a type of less aggressive cichlid so you really wouldn't have issues with them. Also Apistos and Rams are usually even less aggressive than Kribs. I agree that Serpaes would not be a good idea but perhaps some Praecox Rainbows would look nice. They are one of my favorite types of rainbow.

10. fighter55 Member Member

Rams IMO are much more docile than kribs, but have really good colors too. They aren't very territorial, and usually get up to around 3". Cories are a lot of fun, and harlies would look nice in the tank too.

11. Jewellz Initiate Member

I think I might consider Rams then, I'll have to research them more though. And I haven't seen many Rainbows around in the stores, just two different types I can't remember names at the moment but one got up to 5 inches and needed a school and were $15 a fish and the other type was 2-3 inches and needed a school as well but were only $3 a fish. So I might think about the smaller ones but I'd have to check the name next time I'm there and do some research.

So I'm pretty set on Angels, Harlequin Rasboras and Cories. I'll probably do those first and then see what else would go well, the Rams or Rainbows or female livebearers...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

12. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would wait on the angels as the first fish anyways just so that when they are introduced the other fish are used to the tank and the angels can make some territory with the other fish there.

13. Jewellz Initiate Member

Yeah I'm doing the pleco first, I actually found his specific breed on planetcatfish (Pterygoplichthys pardalis) and he's fully grown or close to it so no worries. Probably gonna add Rasboras second. Then Cories then Angels. When I do the Angels I'll probably add the Rams at the same time if I go with Rams. If I go with something else like Rainbows or female livebearers then I'll probably do those before the Angels.

Good news my nitrites have gone down a lot, they were around 2.5 ppm this morning from 10+ yesterday morning so hopefully I won't be waiting too much longer yay!