Suggestion - Short Answer Subforum

Quick Question Subforum/Wall, Yes or No?

• Total voters

NBettas83

Well Known
So I had an idea recently, which I haven't heard talked about before. I noticed that I feel like I'm going overkill when I post a whole new thread with just one quick question. I'm wondering if the forum software (Xenforo, I believe?) gives you (The owner, Mike) the ability to create something for quick questions. This might be a wall or a subforum with just little questions that can be answered quickly, that don't need a whole thread for. If the questions becomes larger, the OP can be directed to make a thread. So any thoughts/opinions on this?

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
I like the idea however I do think finding the border between what would be considered a "thread" type questions or a "SAS (Short Answer Subforum)" would be difficult to decide. To one person the idea of finrot may be a simple question to them that takes two seconds to answer but to some it may be a larger issue.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Like a chat or message box? Chances are all of your questions have been answered before on here. To an extent. You just have to look for them if you don't want to post a new thread.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
It’s not necessarily a bad idea, but I think this would make things a bit more complicated. People’s definition of a “quick question” will vary significantly. Particularly for newer fish keepers who may think an issue is simple when it really isn’t.

It could get rather annoying trying to answer a more complex question in a short answer format. For new members it could also be confusing to figure out which area they are supposed to ask in.

The way it is now allows more discussion if necessary or allows a quick and easy “question then answer” format. I don’t think it really bothers to many if the question is simple to answer and short.

OP
NBettas83

NBettas83

Well Known
I never really thought about the downsides, but I now realize that yes, people's ideas of a Q&A would be different. Thanks for the input.

EDIT:
Maybe border could be established like, "What types of medicines are antibacterial?" or, "What family do Bettas belong to?" Maybe not necessarily how to treat a disease. Although this is probably impractical it is still interesting to hear your thoughts.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
I mean, you could do that and ask, but those types of answers would be easier to just google. Likely will get quicker answers and a majority of the time fishlore is the one who pops up with those answers. A real time chat function could be fun though. Like discord. But not exactly necessary either

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Platylover said:
I mean, you could do that and ask, but those types of answers would be easier to just google. Likely will get quicker answers and a majority of the time fishlore is the one who pops up with those answers. A real time chat function could be fun though. Like discord. But not exactly necessary either
As far as Ive heard chat is not coming any time soon. Too hard to moderate.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
StarGirl15 said:
As far as Ive heard chat is not coming any time soon. Too hard to moderate.
Yeah it would be for a forum this big. Probably would be better to just do a fishlore discord with discord specific moderation, but that’s also not necessary and could be difficult lol

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
david1978 said:
Thats why we have threads like mine. Who needs chat?
Lol true, it’s just a discord type of chat is a bit different. A whole lot more like actual texting. You can see who’s typing and everything. If you actually do discord there’s some fun bots as well which makes chat even more enjoyable.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
A few of the other forums im on have a chat function. Sadly it starts getting pg then r then gets stopped for a short time.

Coradee

Chat & discord have been brought up before & on a forum this size & this busy both would be impossible to moderate so neither would be feasible.
As for the short answer sub forum we have enough difficulty getting members to use the existing sub forums without adding another one that would need extra moderating, so I don’t think that’s a good idea.

OP
NBettas83

NBettas83

Well Known
I didn't really think the idea through to much, so I guess we should just stick with the layout FL has. It's more practical anyway. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

New Threads