Suggestion For Rehoming A Fish

Amynnas

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey all,

I had more than a few suggestions on my last thread that I should get rid of my Chinese algae eaters cause they were going to turn into fish killing monsters. I did separate the two into two different tanks, one with the tetras and one with the swordtails. My question is how would I go about rehoming them? I don't think the fish store I bought them from will take them back and I don't believe PetSmart or Petco take fish do they? Any suggestions for finding these little guys a better home would be appreciated. They are probably about 2.5 to 3 inches right now. Just babies. I've only had them a month.

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Pet smart can exchange them for another fish. I don’t know about petco because I have never bought fish from there

OP
Amynnas

Amynnas

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gourami36 said:
Pet smart can exchange them for another fish. I don’t know about petco because I have never bought fish from there
Thankyou so much gourami! I didn't think they would take them. I'll check my local petsmart to see their policy.

GrayRas

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Once you get to 50 post/messages on the forum you can offer them up for rehoming in the buy,sell, trade forum by creating a thread. Name your price, offer them for trade, or if you really want to get rid of them just offer them for free. Usually a member will step up and claI'm them. I recently needed to rehome 3 fish from my 40gal tank in MDb- offered them for free to anyone who would pay the shipping fee. Now they are gone off to a 75gal tank in NC.

WTFish?

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My petsmart where I use to live and my lfs would take anything back, but for free, they won’t give a refund. It’s worth asking.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
Try any small local fish store, they will usually take them.

One Petco by me also has a "rescue tank". They take any fish for free, put it in that tank and anyone can claI'm them from that tank for free as well. But its the only one around me that does that, so you may have to call and ask your store to see if they have something similar.

PokeTileCraft101

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you any local fish stores try and caling them to see if they take any fish. One near me always take fish in and the next time I'm there it wouldve been sold.

napa15rt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have really good luck with petsmart. They took back some bad decisions and even took my 10 platy fry.

Sophieblunt

Reaction score
When I sell some fish i'm planning on advertising in facebook aquatic groups etc. Always worth trying if you have social media? And then at least you know who they're going to etc.

Karen Morphis

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for suggestions. I have been wondering what I was going to do with the 8 red sword fry in my tank. They are almost 3 weeks old now and would really put my tank in overstock mode when they get bigger. Only have one lfs so hope she will take them. If not will check in closest town half hour away. They also only have one lfs. Next option is an hour away.

New Threads