Important Suggestion for posts

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lucy said:
Members should always title their threads to best reflect their question.
Bravo! You took the words right out of my mouth, although mine had a few expletives in there..... it's so frustrating to just see HELP! and have no clue what the person needs help with.

mathas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sirdarksol said:
My biggest point in all of this mirrors Lucy's: If it is so important that people reading the thread should know it, it should probably be in the body of the text as well as the title.
Titles are meant to be attention grabbers (I'm speaking of titles in general, such as for novels, scientific articles, etc... not just on Fishlore). They snag the reader's attention and convince them to read the text. With a few exceptions, they do not have information that is missing from the rest of the text (and in those cases, it's usually a piece of fiction)
Oh, I don't disagree with what you're saying at all.

I just think that if anyone was seriously expecting an immediate behavioral change on the part of all Fishlore members based on this thread alone, that particular someone is likely to end the day with an unmet expectation or two

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
mathas said:
Oh, I don't disagree with what you're saying at all.

I just think that if anyone was seriously expecting an immediate behavioral change on the part of all Fishlore members based on this thread alone, that particular someone is likely to end the day with an unmet expectation or two
I have very few true expectations. I have a lot of hopes and suggestions.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Meenu said:
I've done it before, too. More than once. Maybe even more than twice
Same here!

Meenu said:
I tend to gloss over the titles and pay attention to the text in the message... mea culpa.
I read the titles. There are a lot of things I know I can't help with. Cichlid compatabilty comes to mind.
However, if a thread has a good title or I think I might learn something new, I'll read it.

Either way, great discussion, Jaysee.

yallyall1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree! Unless fish are dying (like diseases) they should include 'Help!' but also include for instance, 'tetras dying from ich 45G tank!'

That way, the ones that matter, will be answered. But no, I don't think everyone will change the way they do things because of this thread...

Good post Jaysee

claudicles

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
While it is useful to debate what people should do and how people should read this thread to find out how best to post questions, it is also a fact that this forum aims to help newbies more than anything else. That being said, anything that makes it easier for them to get help is useful. A large proportion of the early replies to newbs questions are often requests for more information, so while it seems obvious to experienced fish keepers that the more info you give the more likely people will be able to help you, it obviously doesn't seem obvious to lots of newbs. Therefore expecting people to work out quickly that they need to restate their title in their post is also a bit much to hope.

I'm all for anything that makes it easier for newbies to get the help they need.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
claudicles said:
While it is useful to debate what people should do and how people should read this thread to find out how best to post questions, it is also a fact that this forum aims to help newbies more than anything else. That being said, anything that makes it easier for them to get help is useful. A large proportion of the early replies to newbs questions are often requests for more information, so while it seems obvious to experienced fish keepers that the more info you give the more likely people will be able to help you, it obviously doesn't seem obvious to lots of newbs. Therefore expecting people to work out quickly that they need to restate their title in their post is also a bit much to hope.

I'm all for anything that makes it easier for newbies to get the help they need.
Nobody is disagreeing that this would be a useful thing to implement, if Mike decides to do so.
However, a number of people seem to be taking the point of view that, because new members aren't going to read this thread, then there's little point in having this discussion.
I disagree wholeheartedly for three reasons.
First of all, it's obviously not just new members who are relying on info they put in their titles. For this reason alone, making suggestions to put pertinent information into the title are worthwhile.
Second, by having and maintaining this discussion, more people are aware of the issue, and may be more likely to read titles.
Third, by having and maintaining this discussion, people will discuss it with new members as they make posts. This is how we started asking for a lot of the info we ask for. Somebody made a post about it, it was discussed, and then people started asking for the extra info. Most new members still don't offer that info on the first post, but they learn pretty quickly what we need to help them.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sirdarksol said:
Second, by having and maintaining this discussion, more people are aware of the issue, and may be more likely to read titles.
True that. Worked for me.

claudicles

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry I may have come across as harsh in my post. My interpretation of the debate was a bit different though. The original question was whether the title should include the prefix all the way through, with which everyone seem to to agree. The discussion then moved on to what people should put in their posts, which is odviously the subject of the controversy. I was just adding my support for the first point, having been caught several times myself.
Once again, I am sorry if I came off as rude.

OP
Jaysee

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
claudicles said:

claudicles said:
Sorry I may have come across as harsh in my post. My interpretation of the debate was a bit different though. The original question was whether the title should include the prefix all the way through, with which everyone seem to to agree. The discussion then moved on to what people should put in their posts, which is odviously the subject of the controversy. I was just adding my support for the first point, having been caught several times myself.
Once again, I am sorry if I came off as rude.
My point exactly. I don't think you were harsh at all.

No final word on this??

New Threads