Suggestion for posts

Jaysee

I think it would be a good idea to have the prefix of the title of the thread displayed in the title of the post.

Example:

NMfishman

I second this motion!

platy ben

I agree

Aquarist

Good morning,

I think it's a good idea especially for the #1 post as a quick reference to what the thread is about. I don't see that it's necessary for every post within a thread as they should all be related to the #1 post

The title in the post would also be good if the post is directed to a particular member or if attention needs to be drawn to the particular post. I don't see the need for each post to have a title just for the sake of having a title.

Ken

Lucy

Members should always title their threads to best reflect their question.

Kunsthure

Jaysee said:
I think it would be a good idea to have the prefix of the title of the thread displayed in the title of the post.

Example:
I think it would be a good idea if people said what tank they're referring to *in* the post, not just in the title.

And while we're on the topic of titles, I feel left out because there is no 37g in the drop-down menu.

-Lisa

Jaysee

I am only referring to the 1st post.

I think its most noticeable with the polls.

sirdarksol

If it's something that's important, then don't rely on the little quick title to add it. If it's really important, I agree that it should likely be put in the thread, not just the title.

Jaysee

I think a lot of people just assume it'll be there, and that's a reasonable assumption.

sirdarksol

Jaysee said:
I think a lot of people just assume it'll be there, and that's a reasonable assumption.
They now know that it won't be there, and can just type it out. It's an extra two to four characters to type the gallonage of an aquarium.

To be honest, my eyes just automatically skI'm over the title prefixes, anyway. The ones that say "help" and "important" are used so much and for such a wide range of topics, problems, and interests that I ignore that bit of text and read only the actual title.

Lucy

Jaysee said:
Even if it's not possible to implement your suggestion, it's a great discussion about how important a title it.

Jaysee

Oh, then that's one more thing for me to stop using.

Lucy

Why stop using it?

Kunsthure

Jaysee said:
Oh, then that's one more thing for me to stop using.
I already did. Sometimes there just isn't one that fits what I'm going to write about and other times it's like SDS said, people skip over them anyway.

-Lisa

mathas

sirdarksol said:
They now know that it won't be there, and can just type it out.
If you assume that every user on the forum reads this subforum and this thread, perhaps. I think that's a bit optimistic, personally, but maybe I'm just cynical

sirdarksol said:
The ones that say "help" and "important" are used so much and for such a wide range of topics, problems, and interests that I ignore that bit of text and read only the actual title.
Ditto that.

Lucy said:
Even if it's not possible to implement your suggestion, it's a great discussion about how important a title it.
It is technically possible.

Tigerfishy

I see where Jaysee's coming from, and it's a very good point, having noticed it before after asking how big someone's tank is to be told it was in the title, oops!

I rarely use it, putting the info in the question now, not something I utilise much anymore.

Meenu

Tigerfishy said:
I see where Jaysee's coming from, and it's a very good point, having noticed it before after asking how big someone's tank is to be told it was in the title, oops!

I rarely use it, putting the info in the question now, not something I utilise much anymore.
I've done it before, too. More than once. Maybe even more than twice.
I guess how I can see that some people always read the title and pay sufficient attention that they wouldn't need to see it in the first post. Unfortunately, this is not everybody.

Even if people don't think it is necessary, it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to have the information there.

sirdarksol

mathas said:
If you assume that every user on the forum reads this subforum and this thread, perhaps. I think that's a bit optimistic, personally, but maybe I'm just cynical
Fair enough, considering new members can't always be counted on to read the rules.
However, it's discussions like this that spread such information.

And I don't doubt that Mike will look into this, and if it's a simple matter of settings, will implement it.

My biggest point in all of this mirrors Lucy's: If it is so important that people reading the thread should know it, it should probably be in the body of the text as well as the title.
Titles are meant to be attention grabbers (I'm speaking of titles in general, such as for novels, scientific articles, etc... not just on Fishlore). They snag the reader's attention and convince them to read the text. With a few exceptions, they do not have information that is missing from the rest of the text (and in those cases, it's usually a piece of fiction)

Meenu

sirdarksol said:
Titles are meant to be attention grabbers (I'm speaking of titles in general, such as for novels, scientific articles, etc... not just on Fishlore). They snag the reader's attention and convince them to read the text. With a few exceptions, they do not have information that is missing from the rest of the text (and in those cases, it's usually a piece of fiction)
I tend to gloss over the titles and pay attention to the text in the message... mea culpa.

sirdarksol

Meenu said:
I tend to gloss over the titles and pay attention to the text in the message... mea culpa.
I do the same thing, sometimes.
There are cases where I'll click on a thread due to its age and lack of posts (checking to make sure there's not a question that needs to be answered)
Or I'll buy a book because I like the cover art or the author.

LyndaB

Lucy said:
Members should always title their threads to best reflect their question.
Bravo! You took the words right out of my mouth, although mine had a few expletives in there..... it's so frustrating to just see HELP! and have no clue what the person needs help with.

mathas

sirdarksol said:
My biggest point in all of this mirrors Lucy's: If it is so important that people reading the thread should know it, it should probably be in the body of the text as well as the title.
Oh, I don't disagree with what you're saying at all.

I just think that if anyone was seriously expecting an immediate behavioral change on the part of all Fishlore members based on this thread alone, that particular someone is likely to end the day with an unmet expectation or two

sirdarksol

mathas said:
Oh, I don't disagree with what you're saying at all.

I just think that if anyone was seriously expecting an immediate behavioral change on the part of all Fishlore members based on this thread alone, that particular someone is likely to end the day with an unmet expectation or two
I have very few true expectations. I have a lot of hopes and suggestions.

Lucy

Meenu said:
I've done it before, too. More than once. Maybe even more than twice
Same here!

Meenu said:
I read the titles. There are a lot of things I know I can't help with. Cichlid compatabilty comes to mind.
However, if a thread has a good title or I think I might learn something new, I'll read it.

Either way, great discussion, Jaysee.

yallyall1

I agree! Unless fish are dying (like diseases) they should include 'Help!' but also include for instance, 'tetras dying from ich 45G tank!'

That way, the ones that matter, will be answered. But no, I don't think everyone will change the way they do things because of this thread...

Good post Jaysee

claudicles

While it is useful to debate what people should do and how people should read this thread to find out how best to post questions, it is also a fact that this forum aims to help newbies more than anything else. That being said, anything that makes it easier for them to get help is useful. A large proportion of the early replies to newbs questions are often requests for more information, so while it seems obvious to experienced fish keepers that the more info you give the more likely people will be able to help you, it obviously doesn't seem obvious to lots of newbs. Therefore expecting people to work out quickly that they need to restate their title in their post is also a bit much to hope.

I'm all for anything that makes it easier for newbies to get the help they need.

sirdarksol

claudicles said:
While it is useful to debate what people should do and how people should read this thread to find out how best to post questions, it is also a fact that this forum aims to help newbies more than anything else. That being said, anything that makes it easier for them to get help is useful. A large proportion of the early replies to newbs questions are often requests for more information, so while it seems obvious to experienced fish keepers that the more info you give the more likely people will be able to help you, it obviously doesn't seem obvious to lots of newbs. Therefore expecting people to work out quickly that they need to restate their title in their post is also a bit much to hope.

I'm all for anything that makes it easier for newbies to get the help they need.
Nobody is disagreeing that this would be a useful thing to implement, if Mike decides to do so.
However, a number of people seem to be taking the point of view that, because new members aren't going to read this thread, then there's little point in having this discussion.
I disagree wholeheartedly for three reasons.
First of all, it's obviously not just new members who are relying on info they put in their titles. For this reason alone, making suggestions to put pertinent information into the title are worthwhile.
Second, by having and maintaining this discussion, more people are aware of the issue, and may be more likely to read titles.
Third, by having and maintaining this discussion, people will discuss it with new members as they make posts. This is how we started asking for a lot of the info we ask for. Somebody made a post about it, it was discussed, and then people started asking for the extra info. Most new members still don't offer that info on the first post, but they learn pretty quickly what we need to help them.

Meenu

sirdarksol said:
Second, by having and maintaining this discussion, more people are aware of the issue, and may be more likely to read titles.
True that. Worked for me.

claudicles

Sorry I may have come across as harsh in my post. My interpretation of the debate was a bit different though. The original question was whether the title should include the prefix all the way through, with which everyone seem to to agree. The discussion then moved on to what people should put in their posts, which is odviously the subject of the controversy. I was just adding my support for the first point, having been caught several times myself.
Once again, I am sorry if I came off as rude.

Jaysee

claudicles said:

claudicles said:
Sorry I may have come across as harsh in my post. My interpretation of the debate was a bit different though. The original question was whether the title should include the prefix all the way through, with which everyone seem to to agree. The discussion then moved on to what people should put in their posts, which is odviously the subject of the controversy. I was just adding my support for the first point, having been caught several times myself.
Once again, I am sorry if I came off as rude.
My point exactly. I don't think you were harsh at all.

No final word on this??

Top Bottom