Important Suggestion for posts

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I think it's a good idea especially for the #1 post as a quick reference to what the thread is about. I don't see that it's necessary for every post within a thread as they should all be related to the #1 post

The title in the post would also be good if the post is directed to a particular member or if attention needs to be drawn to the particular post. I don't see the need for each post to have a title just for the sake of having a title.

Ken

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Members should always title their threads to best reflect their question.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am only referring to the 1st post.

I think its most noticable with the polls.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If it's something that's important, then don't rely on the little quick title to add it. If it's really important, I agree that it should likely be put in the thread, not just the title.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think a lot of people just assume it'll be there, and that's a reasonable assumption.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think a lot of people just assume it'll be there, and that's a reasonable assumption.
They now know that it won't be there, and can just type it out. It's an extra two to four characters to type the gallonage of an aquarium.

To be honest, my eyes just automatically skim over the title prefixes, anyway. The ones that say "help" and "important" are used so much and for such a wide range of topics, problems, and interests that I ignore that bit of text and read only the actual title.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Even if it's not possible to implement your suggestion, it's a great discussion about how important a title it.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, then that's one more thing for me to stop using.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh, then that's one more thing for me to stop using.
I already did. Sometimes there just isn't one that fits what I'm going to write about and other times it's like SDS said, people skip over them anyway.

-Lisa

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They now know that it won't be there, and can just type it out.
If you assume that every user on the forum reads this subforum and this thread, perhaps. I think that's a bit optimistic, personally, but maybe I'm just cynical

The ones that say "help" and "important" are used so much and for such a wide range of topics, problems, and interests that I ignore that bit of text and read only the actual title.
Ditto that.

Even if it's not possible to implement your suggestion, it's a great discussion about how important a title it.
It is technically possible.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I see where Jaysee's coming from, and it's a very good point, having noticed it before after asking how big someone's tank is to be told it was in the title, oops!

I rarely use it, putting the info in the question now, not something I utilise much anymore.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I see where Jaysee's coming from, and it's a very good point, having noticed it before after asking how big someone's tank is to be told it was in the title, oops!

I rarely use it, putting the info in the question now, not something I utilise much anymore.
I've done it before, too. More than once. Maybe even more than twice.
I guess how I can see that some people always read the title and pay sufficient attention that they wouldn't need to see it in the first post. Unfortunately, this is not everybody.

Even if people don't think it is necessary, it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to have the information there.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you assume that every user on the forum reads this subforum and this thread, perhaps. I think that's a bit optimistic, personally, but maybe I'm just cynical
Fair enough, considering new members can't always be counted on to read the rules.
However, it's discussions like this that spread such information.

And I don't doubt that Mike will look into this, and if it's a simple matter of settings, will implement it.

My biggest point in all of this mirrors Lucy's: If it is so important that people reading the thread should know it, it should probably be in the body of the text as well as the title.
Titles are meant to be attention grabbers (I'm speaking of titles in general, such as for novels, scientific articles, etc... not just on Fishlore). They snag the reader's attention and convince them to read the text. With a few exceptions, they do not have information that is missing from the rest of the text (and in those cases, it's usually a piece of fiction)

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Titles are meant to be attention grabbers (I'm speaking of titles in general, such as for novels, scientific articles, etc... not just on Fishlore). They snag the reader's attention and convince them to read the text. With a few exceptions, they do not have information that is missing from the rest of the text (and in those cases, it's usually a piece of fiction)
I tend to gloss over the titles and pay attention to the text in the message... mea culpa.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I tend to gloss over the titles and pay attention to the text in the message... mea culpa.
I do the same thing, sometimes.
There are cases where I'll click on a thread due to its age and lack of posts (checking to make sure there's not a question that needs to be answered)
Or I'll buy a book because I like the cover art or the author.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom