Suggestion: An off topic post thread.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sometimes a thread takes a slight turn off topic. Here on fish lore mods will often times delete the posts or close the thread. I have had the posts deleted, and it can be a little saddening, especially when you actually put a decent amount of thought, time, and research into your post. On another forum I frequent, they have the perfect solution to this. They have a thread specificly for moderators to move off topic posts to. That way it keeps the original thread clean, but members can still access their post and any info or links in it that they may want to reference in the future. Just a thought.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I also find it frustrating to have a post outright deleted, with no PM or anything about why (and, to be frank, I find it rude - at least have the courtesy to let me know you did it and why).

This is a good idea, in my opinion. Or at least PM that you're about to do it so that I can copy it into a PM or on word or something.

I'm adding this edit: This sounds WAY harsher than I intended it to. I know you guys are doing your job, and you're doing it well. I'm putting myself in time-out for not editing myself.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there an off topic area right now? I remember looking for one recently to post something or other and found that my only option was to use my blog. Of course, it could be operator error on my part and something about seeing the forest for the trees..... ops:

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The "off topic" area is "general discussions" (there are also a few specific non-fish sections.)

As far as a thread where the mods dump off topic posts, it's doable, and the mods can certainly talk about it.
In a way, though, I'm kind of against such a thing. It's an extra step for mods. Now, I'm not against doing a bit of extra work if it makes the forum better, but it seems to me that there's a more simple solution to the issue: limit how off topic your posts go in the first place.
As I said, though, we can talk about it.

With regards to people getting a notice regarding the deletion of an off-topic post, as has been said in the recent past (messages five and six in https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/duplicate-threads-back-to-back-posts-etc.77402/), unless we are giving an official warning, we leave the "off topic" notice in the reason line of the deletion. If we send people PMs, they are more often than not taken as official warnings, and then we get all sorts of arguments and anger and that gets annoying after about two seconds.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow I did not intend for this to become an attack at the mods, it was just a suggestion

As far as a thread where the mods dump off topic posts, it's doable, and the mods can certainly talk about it.
In a way, though, I'm kind of against such a thing. It's an extra step for mods. Now, I'm not against doing a bit of extra work if it makes the forum better, but it seems to me that there's a more simple solution to the issue: limit how off topic your posts go in the first place.
The thing is that it is often unintentional. It is just the natural direction the conversation flows and no one thinks about starting a new thread. I had this happen to me once and 2 or so hours of research and thought was deleted without warning.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The "off topic" area is "general discussions" (there are also a few specific non-fish sections.)

With regards to people getting a notice regarding the deletion of an off-topic post, as has been said in the recent past (messages five and six in https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/duplicate-threads-back-to-back-posts-etc.77402/), unless we are giving an official warning, we leave the "off topic" notice in the reason line of the deletion. If we send people PMs, they are more often than not taken as official warnings, and then we get all sorts of arguments and anger and that gets annoying after about two seconds.

I know it's an extra step for the mods, but when there's a deletion of an entire post (not talking about rude ones, just off-topic ones), we don't know about it unless we're reading the thread. Sometimes, it's a long post where we've put in a lot of thought into what we have to say. In those circumstances, maybe you could even just copy it and PM it to us so that if we want, we can continue the conversation in PM.

I know you guys have a job to do, and it is not easy and pretty thankless. But I'm glad you're willing to put some thought into the suggestions here because I think it would go a long way in alleviating some frustration that some members feel.

(SDS, if you want more details, you can PM me or ask Lucy.)

edit to add: I don't know how much work this would be for you guys, but maybe you could even talk to Mike about adding another mod.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow I did not intend for this to become an attack at the mods, it was just a suggestion

The thing is that it is often unintentional. It is just the natural direction the conversation flows and no one thinks about starting a new thread. I had this happen to me once and 2 or so hours of research and thought was deleted without warning.
Which is why I'm starting a discussion on it among the mods right now. If it wasn't for the fact that it is usually unintentional, I doubt any of the mods would even contemplate it.
In the end, it's not such a bad idea. I was just logging the strongest reason I have that it shouldn't be necessary.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Natural conversation does have an ebb and flow..... however, forum discussions must be curbed. If the mods just let us have our way with every dialogue, it wouldn't take very long for the site to be maxed out space-wise. Would you prefer to be able to carry on conversations where you're allowed absolute free rein with a price tag of having your last post take an hour to load?

I've had my posts deleted, as well. But I just shrug it off and let it go. Sure it can be frustrating, but not half as frustrating as being the mod who has to follow the guidelines handed down by the site admin and make the decision as to when it's gone too far.

Trust me, if you had to walk in their shoes, you'd choose to go barefoot.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Natural conversation does have an ebb and flow..... however, forum discussions must be curbed. If the mods just let us have our way with every dialogue, it wouldn't take very long for the site to be maxed out space-wise. Would you prefer to be able to carry on conversations where you're allowed absolute free rein with a price tag of having your last post take an hour to load?

I've had my posts deleted, as well. But I just shrug it off and let it go. Sure it can be frustrating, but not half as frustrating as being the mod who has to follow the guidelines handed down by the site admin and make the decision as to when it's gone too far.

I'm not knocking the mods for the job they do. I also shake it off when they delete my posts. But if there is an easy solution that will curb frustration, and they are willing to consider it, why not have the discussion?

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

I agree that they need to curb off topic discussion. This would put an end to the off topic in the thread, and put the posts somewhere that they are easily accesable to copy/paste should someone choose to start a thread to further discuss whatever had been deemed as off topic for the that thread. I know I would have liked to continue the discussions the times it has happened to me, but I didn't want to retype all i had written and retrack down all the links and information I had used.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Because if they take every post that they would otherwise delete, and just shove it into another "active" part of the forum, it's still taking up the same space that it would've taken up if kept in the original thread. The end result would be the same, too much space used up on the forum.

I'm not saying there are certain things that shouldn't be saved. But most off-topic, from what I've seen, is just a plethora of words that might be best sent to the ether.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with everyone above. I too have had posts deleted, and I too have also seen mods go off topic then delete others off topic posts.

I think the mods read too much into the pm from a mod will look like an official warning. Why? a simple pm explaining yourself is not an official warning. It would be no different from recieving a pm from anyone explaining this or that.

The reason area under the post for why a post was edited/removed does not always get filled in explaning why.... so in that case a pm would be nice and should not be seen by anyone as a warning but as an explanation since none was given in the thread itself.

Brian

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ironically, this thread seems to be going off topic lol.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think the mods read too much into the pm from a mod will look like an official warning. Why? a simple pm explaining yourself is not an official warning. It would be no different from recieving a pm from anyone explaining this or that.
I don't know why it happens, but it does. A few months ago, when I sent exactly such a message, it ended up blowing up to the point that the member had to be given their final warning. This has happened many times, not only with me, but with the other mods as well.

Ironically, this thread seems to be going off topic lol.
Yep. ;D I'm going to deal with that in a moment. (I'll be created a separate thread.)

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I apologize if there are any hiccups in the shift. I had to split the thread, copy some parts of some posts (including my own), and so on. The process isn't perfect, because it relies on me clicking the right things, deleting the correct parts of posts, etc... So if something is missing, I apologize. I did not do it on purpose.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know why it happens, but it does. A few months ago, when I sent exactly such a message, it ended up blowing up to the point that the member had to be given their final warning. This has happened many times, not only with me, but with the other mods as well.

.)

But everyone is different, all members shouldn't be clumped into a group of those who can't handle a pm from a mod. You guys/gals are also members who somtimes contribute to a thread..... so a pm with your mod hat on does not always have to be a warning.

If the above post was in reference to me, yes those pm's got out of hand in some peoples eyes. And I was the one out of hand not the mods so everyone knows. However it has to do with what everyone is saying above. I won't get into details because that is not what this is about, but a post I put time into writing was deleted with no explanation what so ever to start with. An explanation was given to me later when I started asking questions but not at the time.
The point is like many others are saying I can see how people get frustrated because sds can assure you it frustrated me. So I can see where eveyone is coming from.

And the mods do have a thankless job and for the most part I think they do a good job here. But an extra mintue once in awhile by the mods would be appreciated.

Brian

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I remember that, too. People really do seem to take PMs from mods harshly, and even just when you merge posts and stuff.

Mods, what do you think about LyndaB's point about the space on the forum? It seems valid, but then we have a bunch of threads where we goof off, and you don't have a problem with that taking up space. (For example, Miss Lynda, there seems to have been a bunch of discussion about you painting my toenails, at one point. :whistling

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fishlore is supposed to be fun. I don't think people should have to keep scrolling back to the OP's post to make sure they have not strayed off topic.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The space thing is something to consider. However, every few months it could be cleared out and moved to the fishlore archives like other posts are.

A new thread has been created to discuss mods deleting threads

Keep discussion of that topic there. This thread is about opinions on creating a home for off topic posts to live.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom