Suggest some plants for me!

NC122606

I am going to let you guys pick out some plants for me because I cannot think of any at the moment. Here are the rules...
  • Low to Medium Lighting Plants
  • Co2 mustn’t be required
  • Warm Water (Must have a range of 80°F+) (Tank is not 80 but that range would be good.)
  • Mustn’t need soil to grow
  • I can provide dosing if needed for a specific plant, I use root tabs
So here is the tank,

560DC9AA-F3A2-42D0-AAF6-C12ED5D06FC6.jpeg

9AA7143A-8337-41E4-9863-3472499FDBC0.jpeg

BDA2867A-DD46-437C-9C2C-C83B537EDF92.jpeg

9E25BA18-56F9-4FE3-863F-EF734E122336.jpeg
Sorry for the diatoms, it's annoying... Also Tiger Turquoise why are you hiding?

Ok so after the plant is cleared through the elimination process you can suggest,
A (few) foreground plant and if I need anything special for it as well as midground and background.
I can get rid of the ditch in the back, that is only because of the filter in the beginning.

Attachments

• 5302B117-B9AC-4F45-B3C7-4D4D4859AF2E.jpeg
    5302B117-B9AC-4F45-B3C7-4D4D4859AF2E.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 61

fish47

don't know much about plants but I'm almost 100% sure that anubias and java fern should be fine. There are probably others that people with more knowledge can tell you about.

CoryBoi

Some giant species of swords would be great for the whole back of the tank. Then some crypts around the Rest of the tank, also a huge piece of driftwood would look good in the center.

RedGallant

Some giant species of swords would be great for the whole back of the tank. Then some crypts around the Rest of the tank, also a huge piece of driftwood would look good in the center.
He said no soil, so I think he meant attached to driftwood or rock, like Java Fern or Anubias

jake37

One of the large swords - either a regular or ruffle. You will need to leave at least 6 inches behind it as they can get pretty large. I would actually go with the ruffle as it has wider leaves which the discus would enjoy. anubias (I esp like coffee and afzelii). Java fern but again these can get large over time i'd use them as a fence in a straight line horizontal front to back. Mine have gotten to be about 9 inches high per leaf and 1 1/2 inches wide but the rhizome goes in a straight line making nice fence or spokes of a wheel. I'd also go with a couple of floaters - dwarf water lettuce has really nice roots; frogbits have nicer leaves and red root floaters have red roots. Dwarf lilies are nice. You could consider a aponogeton ulvaceus (I would not do one of those and a sword - they can get large but you could put one in the middle - it has long wavy leaves which the fishes can easily swim through (the ruffle sword leaves are more rigid - barriers). boivinianus is also nice looking - a bit smaller than the ulvaceus (mine is in the guppy tank which is 77 - so haven't tried one in warmer waters) and there is crispus - smaller than the ulvaceus and boivinainus but not a bad plant. One other plant I like a lot is pogostemon stellatus octopus. Grows extremely well in my guppy tank - very pleasant looking plant but might not do well in warmer tanks - not sure.
Pogostemon stellatus | Details | Plant of the Month |
(mine grows quite fast without co2 so you can ignore the co2 requirement - also the picture sucks as it grows reasonably tall - mine reached 19 inches in height before I trimmed).
-
I suck at red plants though my red melon and red flame swords are doing well and if you want a small forground sword rosette is a nice looking plant.

CoryBoi

He said no soil, so I think he meant attached to driftwood or rock, like Java Fern or Anubias
I'm pretty sure he meant no active soil. soentimes in planted aquariums you lay down a layer of potting soil or another soil under a sand cap. And sand Is not soil.

NC122606

don't know much about plants but I'm almost 100% sure that anubias and java fern should be fine. There are probably others that people with more knowledge can tell you about.
Thank you!

Thank you! I plan on getting driftwood but I will see what I find out there.

Correct no soil.

One of the large swords - either a regular or ruffle. You will need to leave at least 6 inches behind it as they can get pretty large. I would actually go with the ruffle as it has wider leaves which the discus would enjoy. anubias (I esp like coffee and afzelii). Java fern but again these can get large over time i'd use them as a fence in a straight line horizontal front to back. Mine have gotten to be about 9 inches high per leaf and 1 1/2 inches wide but the rhizome goes in a straight line making nice fence or spokes of a wheel. I'd also go with a couple of floaters - dwarf water lettuce has really nice roots; frogbits have nicer leaves and red root floaters have red roots. Dwarf lilies are nice. You could consider a aponogeton ulvaceus (I would not do one of those and a sword - they can get large but you could put one in the middle - it has long wavy leaves which the fishes can easily swim through (the ruffle sword leaves are more rigid - barriers). boivinianus is also nice looking - a bit smaller than the ulvaceus (mine is in the guppy tank which is 77 - so haven't tried one in warmer waters) and there is crispus - smaller than the ulvaceus and boivinainus but not a bad plant. One other plant I like a lot is pogostemon stellatus octopus. Grows extremely well in my guppy tank - very pleasant looking plant but might not do well in warmer tanks - not sure.
Pogostemon stellatus | Details | Plant of the Month |
(mine grows quite fast without co2 so you can ignore the co2 requirement - also the picture sucks as it grows reasonably tall - mine reached 19 inches in height before I trimmed).
-
I suck at red plants though my red melon and red flame swords are doing well and if you want a small forground sword rosette is a nice looking plant.
Thank you, Jake! I will check those out.

FathomtheFish

If you are planting in substrate, I would recommend these plants:

Moneywort
Crypts (a must)
Hydro-something tripartia "Japan"
Java fern
Anubias
Microswords
Mosses
Subwassertang (has an interesting texture/color)
Lugwidia (root tabs may be needed)
African onion plant (I like this one)
Water wisteria

I've had experience with all these plants except the subwassertang and onion plant, and all of them have thrived in my low-tech setups.

jake37

subwassertang I have. It seems to do ok in my ram tank (81) - it doesn't require substrate it is more like a soft moss it just sits there in the crouch of a piece of driftwood and gets larger and larger. I'm not a fan of microswords - mine just sits there - it is a grass like plant but seems to grow really slow without co2 and only marginally better with co2 (at least for me). I have some in the guppy tank - for 6 months - hasn't done a thing (76) and the angel tank for 8 months (co2/81) and it hasn't done a thing there (either). Doesn't rot just sits there not growing. Here is a picture of the subwassertang. I order it from mcasella around jan 15 - it has maybe double in size since then. To the right the leafy stuff is windelov fern and the foreground is a small piece of crypt that is rooted. My crypt seems to break off small pieces that are self contained. Not the best picture due to focus.

3.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Shrimp&CPDs
Replies
Views
JavaMossMan
Replies
Views
Jocelyn Adelman
Replies