suggest a fish for 12 gallons.

1. MKucheria Member Member

i'll have a planted and cycled 12 gallon tank soon..
    what fish to keep..?
    the temperature would be 25 degree celcius plus..

please name them and tell me the number of fishes to keep..

please be specific :)

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

A Betta would be perfect with a 12 gallon with a couple other small tetras or guppies.

4. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Most tetras are nippy, I wouldn't trust them in a small tank with long flowing fins.

5. fighter55 Member Member

Rams, Apistos, or Kribs would do fine in a 12 gallon. Is it long or tall?

6. MKucheria Member Member

tall..

7. fighter55 Member Member

Either way you could keep Rams. I'd say two. In a tall you wouldn't have much room for cores, unless you got pygmys. You could try neon tetras or harlequin rasboras.

8. MKucheria Member Member

how abour zebra danios..? a school of 6 maybe ?

9. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I think zebra danios are a little too active for a tank that size.

10. fighter55 Member Member

6 or 7 I'd say. Just watch out, they can be nippy.

11. fighter55 Member Member

I think they could fit.

12. MKucheria Member Member

how about guppy+betta combo..?

13. fighter55 Member Member

I'm not sure about that. Fancy guppies and most other kinds have colors that are too flashy.

14. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

It could be done. You need to be careful though. Guppies with long flowing tails might look like another betta. If you've got a mellow betta it can be done. I'd have a backup plan just in case you get a mean betta.

15. MKucheria Member Member

what else guys..?
    i want the maximum number, even if it is small...

what if i keep guppy, how many of them..? just a pair..?

16. fighter55 Member Member

I'd go with something like this:
    1 Betta
    4-5 Guppies(1-2 male, 3-4 female)

The less amount of males you have, the less fry.

17. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

IMO thats way to small for rams there min Is 20 gallon. I wouldn't put guppies with a betta there to colorful and might get killed.

18. fighter55 Member Member

I meant 1, not 2. Only reaching 3" they don't get very big. But yes, they do like bigger tanks.

19. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I have a Betta with 2 Guppies in a tank and they get along just fine. My tank is a little bit bigger than 12 (20) so I also have 3 Platies and everyone gets along famously.

20. Awesome Initiate Member

Guppies and bettas aren't the best potential mix to be placed in anything short of an experienced aquarists hands, due to the potential of a bettas aggressiveness towards intimidating fish such as dwarf gouramis and guppies. There are many contributing factors to as why a guppy ideally shouldn't be placed with any male Betta, including the fact of the similarities bettweeen the two, such as long fins, colorful tails, and there area in the tank. And even what seems to be a mellow Betta as in my experience the real aggression only does out after the Betta is settled, so in any way. Unless you constantly monitor to bettas aggresion and show materials with attributes to the Betta you virtually will never know if a male Betta will be okay with a guppy. I would always advise against it. You also will have to take many precations and have a well thought out back up plan such as separating the Betta

On another note, you are aware of the aquarium nitrogen cycle, and how an uncycled tank, can leave many fish such as less hardier ones like guppies succetable to specific diseases that attack a fish with a lowered immune system, and you'll be encountering this due to the advanced level of ammonia

Ideally you would want to aim for a safer mix such as

1 male Betta
    8 ember tetras