Sugar glider?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Bettalover99, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

I'm considering having a pet sugar glider!! I have done alot of research so this isn't an on the moment thing! However I do think there are things I need to consider. Please only expieriance a comments ; no false information .

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Ohhh!!! My aunt had a pair of these lil dudes... they were soooo cute but when they got lose had lots of fun catching them (insert sarcasm) however I don't remember much as they weren't mine but when/if you feed live insects. Do so only as a treat or else you can forget about them eating anything else... hers were quite chatty also so cute to hear!

Good luck with them if/when you get them!

3. OP
    OP
    B

Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Yes! I have heard they are noisy the only thing is if you give them treats when they bark they should stop the noise !(hopefully) do you happen to remember if they were friendly or what not

4. monkeypie102

Yeah when she put her dogs away they were really sweet... but remember all animals are unique so you need to be careful with handling... if you go to a petstore ask if they have a small room you can try holding them in and see how they act :)

5. OP
    OP
    B

I have a cat but my room is the entire basement and he doesn't go in the basement . So I would let my sugar gliders loose while I'm down there do they urinate everywhere ? If so that would be a problem

6. monkeypie102

I'd have to call my aunt tomorrow and ask if she had issues like that... I couldn't say to be honest...

7. OP
    OP
    B

Okay! Thank you !

8. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

Theyre a marsupial rodent, so they have zero potty control/box behavior for bathroom. My brother had a pair that bred a single baby, who i claimed. My brothers room, where the gliders lived, reeked from their pee and the fruit they didntbeat rotting in the cage.
    Fun pets. The mom and the baby were super social and friendly, dad only liked my brother. So this was during high school and after we first moved out,neo I don't think his cleaning regimine was the best. If there's no carpet or apolstery to keep clean it woudnt be ridiculous. A bleach/sterile wipe across the room 2-4 times a week would keep the peer from being an issue. The dropped halve eaten fruit was much worse than the pee, but good up keep could keep it under control

9. OP
    OP
    B

thanks a bunch, I think smell is the biggest issue for me and the noise they make. However I have OCD so I'm always cleaning my 2 gallon tanks and keeping them up . My bettas rarely ever smell. So maybe if I got a deorderizing spray and removed fruits they didnt eat right after meal time I dont see it being a problem. Good cleaning should do the trick, what I'm mainly looking for is a simple easy to care for yet exotic pet who will bond to only me. I hate when I have animals and they like everyone .. I know this sounds crazy but when they like everyone I feel like our bond is no more special. Considering I will be the one taking care of this baby hopefuly it takes to me. I have a younger simbling who is really fascinated by animals and I would love to see her be able to hold it once in a while without being bit, hopefully they are friendly like people say and dont urinate on me. personally i hate when animals pee on me, my mom suggested a towel. wearing it around like a bib. i think its a good idea. well I wont be geting this animal til around summer time but i figured the more i find out now the better it will be for the future. People tell me how expensive they are and such but thats not what matters to me.. I want an animal that is commited. however I have been told they like being in pairs. not sure if I HAVE to have 2 of them, i would prefer not thats double the work but if thats what has to be done i guess thats part of the commitment. If i don't end up with a glider I am considering looking into degus or chinchillas. they seem interesting but the main thing is i want a small animal that I can keep in a cage and also take around with me . I wonder if theres a way to train them to only urinate when they are in their cages. Trainable animals are always the best ... thanks for your help!!...kylie

10. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

Rodents aren't trainable, they when where the urge takes them

Gliders are very affectionate with their person, but it takes time and patients to build a bond. Ours only bit at first, I think it was a fear response. As soon as they found honey on a finger they decided fingers were friends. They'd lick lick lick hoping for a little more. Id keep a pair, they'd be happier. Its not really more work, few more fruit bits to clean up. We each had a glider hoodie so good cloths didn't get peed on, just washed them as a single load twice a week.

Chinchillas are less effort and don't smell with decent up keep. I had my piccachu for 8 years before he passed from old age. My favorite small rodent pet. Shy, easier to startle, but so fun when they open up. He used to play tag with my kitties (introduced as babies, saw each other as friends instead of prey). They do need a big cage, with lots of verticle jumping space. He started with a converted birdcage, I added jump pointsvall the way up for him. Piccadilly wasn't a traveler, too much going on for him to be comfy. At home he used the dinning room as a race track, bouncing off kitties or the dog with no concern. Sit for some scratches, the off again. He'd sleep with my Pandora Kitty after a good run.

Gliders can travel with you in a pocket, but you'll like it more than they would. They do best in calm familiar environments. When playing they need space, and its hard to tell them not now if they decide to play while you're out. Too small for a leash, and they do glide quite a ways.

Best traveling small guy would be a ferret. Not a rodent, so they box train. Like being held a ton, and can be put into a harness for strolls. Only smell if you don't scoop the box. Super crazy active, kitten on go all the time. They steal all small items they ca, some not so small. Ive never laughed as hard at a pet as when my Luna tried to pull a sneaker under one of the recliners.

11. OP
    OP
    B

I really am interested in the gliders . It seems everyone has had says of getting around their flaws . I might consider a ferret. I need to do more research thanks for the help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice