Sufficient heater wattage for a 6.5 bookshelf tank?

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Tigress Hill, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

2. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I just bought a 50w heater for my 5 gallon. It said it was for a 10 gallon tank. It was $14.99 at my lfs. Don't know what the brand is because I just looked at the box and put it back in the closet and then when I went to look at it again to get the brand name and specifics, it had disappeared. I hate closet monsters.

I think the general rule of thumb is 5w per gallon, but I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with the above statement. I have a 25w which is the minimum for a 5 gallon and on my 6.6 fluval, I have a 50w.
    My 25 watt is not adjustable ( stays on at 78 degrees ) but the 50w is nice because its adjustable :)

4. OP
    OP
    Tigress Hill

So if I were to place a nice 50 watt heater in the center of the tank, it would be sufficient? Does length/width of tank make a difference?

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

50 watt will work perfect. If you can get one that is adjustable, that would be even better. I have an Aqueon 50w in my fluval tank and it does a great job!!!

6. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

50 watts is more than enough for a 6 gallon tank. I usually try to keep my heaters diagonal, if I can. A great heater to buy is an aqueon pro. little more pricey but they rock. Plus, they have no glass!

7. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I also keep mine on a diagonal in my tank. And you want to get an adjustable because the ones that are pre-set are at 78 degrees and if, heaven forbid, you have an ich outbreak or something that requires raising the temperature, you are out of luck.

8. OP
    OP
    Tigress Hill

Thanks everyone! Nut, I'll definitely check those out;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice