Suffering From Mts!!!

Animus

Hi, I signed up hoping to find an active forum.

I spend a lot of my free time working on my tanks, I currently have five. If I had the space and resources I would definitely have more. So yeah, I'm a fish geek That said I am relatively new or at least renewed to the hobby and will admit that I have made a lot of the newbie mistakes, but that's why I'm here. Looking for people who will share their knowledge and help this newbie become a pro.

I am currently setting up a 33 gallon long aquarium for five rainbow sharks that I purchased at Walmart and placed in a 10 gallon tank (Mistake number one) I am unable to set up a 55 gallon tank, as recommended, due to weight restrictions in my domicile so the best option I had was the 33 long because it has virtually the same footprint as a larger tank. Since rainbow sharks are bottom feeders I'm hoping this will be adequate, at least for a while.
Obviously I'm rapidly running into problems with my largest rainbow showing much aggression and chasing off the other four almost constantly, so this project is rather pressing. In my research I've found that lots of hiding places for the other fish might help.

I will obviously plant the tank somewhat heavily and am I'm looking for stone for hardscape that I can build some caves and other formations out of but I'm also reading that it is ill advised to use stone with sharp edges because it can injure the mouths of the sharks.
Soooo... To make a long story, well not so short, here's my question.
Can anyone suggest a stone that might work, and be safe for my sharks?

AJE

They will eventually kill each other, they are solitary fish

Animus

Does everyone agree with this response? I don't want to let this happen but I've heard a wide variance in opinions on this subject. Please share your thoughts so I can react accordingly.

Animus

Do you keep Rainbow Sharks? Up to this point, and admittedly they are in desperate need of more space, I've seen only chasing. They are all immature fish and I am working on the upgraded (Larger tank) which I hope to have up and running over the course of the coming week, but if this is a phenomenon you've actually experienced then I don't want to risk their lives. However I have watched a LOT of Youtube video's stating that they have maintained multiple adults in appropriate tanks by providing adequate habitat (hiding places and resting spots).

Fishaholic58

Do you keep Rainbow Sharks? Up to this point, and admittedly they are in desperate need of more space, I've seen only chasing. They are all immature fish and I am working on the upgraded (Larger tank) which I hope to have up and running over the course of the coming week, but if this is a phenomenon you've actually experienced then I don't want to risk their lives. However I have watched a LOT of Youtube video's stating that they have maintained multiple adults in appropriate tanks by providing adequate habitat (hiding places and resting spots).
I’m not fond of rainbow sharks as I have never owned any, but I’ve read that it is a hit or miss keeping multiple together. As they grow up they may become more aggressive to each other. I’d post this question in the more busy forum sections.

Animus

I’m not fond of rainbow sharks as I have never owned any, but I’ve read that it is a hit or miss keeping multiple together. As they grow up they may become more aggressive to each other. I’d post this question in the more busy forum sections.
Will do, I'm still learning the forum and how it works. Thanks for the heads up and I will definitely continue keeping a close eye on them. Thank you for your help.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
Replies
Views
coldpines
Replies
Views
BradleyH2O
Replies
Views