30 Gallon Tank Suddenly sick pregnant platy!

ShorKie

Aquarium: 36 gallons.
Stocking: 1 betta,1 glowlight tetra, 3 rosy tetras, 2 platies male/female.
(I'm getting more tetras after lock down)
I noticed my female platy had a bump on her head like something is growing underneath it, she looks like she has some white fuzz and ripped fins. I woke up to her like this, I watch my fish all the time but only today has she looked and acted different. She is pregnant and is due very soon. The pet store I got her from gave me her and a male even though I asked for two females. The male hasn't been stressing her out to much because I have lots of spots to hide. Both her and the male have suddenly stopped being active. I think they might have fungus. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 8BEC7F4F-814D-488F-A912-F30CA7EAAC8E.jpeg
    8BEC7F4F-814D-488F-A912-F30CA7EAAC8E.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 42

GuppyGal7

I'd quarantine both platys immediately. While it's hard to tell from the image, if it is a white fuzz there's a possibility it could be columnaris, which can wipe out a tank in days. Would you be able to get some clearly photos?

Upvote 0

ShorKie

She doesn't like my phone up against the tank, I can barely see the fuzz myself though. She doesn't stay still long enough for me to get a good picture of her.
Maybe this will help?

Attachments

• A380325E-9847-48CE-B2FC-7C779C8FE29F.png
    A380325E-9847-48CE-B2FC-7C779C8FE29F.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

GuppyGal7

Thanks for the labels. I'm terrible at diagnosing, but I really hope someone else can identify what this is. It's almost definitely some type of fungus. You'll likely have to treat the whole tank. I'm not very knowledgable on treatments, but this might help:
Fish Fungus

Upvote 0

ShorKie

Thanks for the labels. I'm terrible at diagnosing, but I really hope someone else can identify what this is. It's almost definitely some type of fungus. You'll likely have to treat the whole tank. I'm not very knowledgable on treatments, but this might help:
Fish Fungus
Thank you for the help! Dang, I'll never get fish from PetSmart again, this is the second time I've got fish from there and they've all been sick.
I'm getting a 10 gallon tank soon so I'll medicate all my fish in that and drain my 36.

Upvote 0

GuppyGal7

Thank you for the help! Dang, I'll never get fish from PetSmart again, this is the second time I've got fish from there and they've all been sick.
I'm getting a 10 gallon tank soon so I'll medicate all my fish in that and drain my 36.
Great. Remember to use a cycled filter in your quarantine tank. Good luck!

Upvote 0

ShorKie

Thanks!
Great. Remember to use a cycled filter in your quarantine tank. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Nopsu

Maybe you should set up a hospital tank and monitor their condition incase you need to medicate them with antibacterial or antifungal treatment.

Are your water parameters okay and stable?

Do a water change of 20-50% in your main tank as well. Might be ammonia spikes or something else that stressed them.

Any reset changes in your routine or water parameters?
To add: I would try water change and/or salt bath before adding any sort of medication

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sokamix
  • leaadams
  • Platy
Replies
Views
leaadams
  • Question
  • lolitroy