Help Suddenly aggressive female angelfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbacon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello all! This is my first post and unfortunately I have a problem!

I've had my female angel since August of 2006, when I bought her as a baby and she's always been calm and serene, the epitome of what I wanted in a tank! She layed eggs when she was approximately 2 years old although she's never had a mate in her tank. She layed 2 cycles and then nothing. Approximately 2 months ago, my husband introduced 2 mollies to our tank and unfortunately, we quickly realized we had a pair. By the end of the same month we were gifted with 22 gorgeous fry. The angel didn't seem to pleased that the nursery was in her tank and occasionally bumped the bottom netting but nothing more. Once the babies were approximately 3 1/2 weeks old, however, she began circling the nursery and paying very close attention to my growing fry much to the parents upsett. My angel later attacked and killed the mother who also hovered. Now that I have reduced my fry count to 5 and only the daddy remains in the tank, she watches the fry less intently but everytime I feed, she jumps out of the water and grabs my fingers. She also attacks the side of the tank if I get within 6 inches, ramming her head against it repeatedly.

Has she grown an attachment to the fry and attempting to defend them as if they were her own? I'm lost as she's been such a docile and calm fish until now.

Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

Oh and she's never been aggressive to the other fish until the mother. She's only aggressive towards me.

Hello, I've merged your posts since they were back to back. It helps to save a little space on the forum.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning RBacon and Welcome to Fish Lore,

Keep in mind that Angels are a cichlid species and can be very territorial. I'm not certain that yours is trying to bond with the fry. I have a feeling she may be looking at them as breakfast

Let's see what other responses you receive. I hope you enjoy the site!

Ken

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If she has been alone or with the same fish for any length of time introduction of other fish will be looked upon as intruders. The fry were definitely slated for breakfast.
Also as she and the other fish grow the 20g becomes more crowded. This could cause some territorial issues also.
Carol

Last edited:

rbacon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
She's been my longest lasting fish to be honest, we have had multiple fish come and go because of my childrens fascinations. I assumed the same re: she wants to eat the fry but she wasn't aggressive towards me until after she attacked and killed the Mama, she's never gone after the other fish in the tank who are equally as docile as she used to be. There's only 4 fish, including her, in the tank and I have the fry still in the nursery until they get a little larger.
I just want to make sure she won't harm herself constantly hitting the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom