Question Suddenly Aggressive Angelfish

Hsunami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So my blue angelfish was never aggressive with the tank mates hes been with. Only difference is now I finally added plants. I researched it and online said there's 2 reasons why an angelfish will get aggressive.... And its always that other angelfish (really long fin) and never the other one.

Space and Breeding time.

I'm sure the space is no problem

but does that mean its breeding time?

If someone can tell me if the angelfishes are female or male it'll help.

Online says to look at the fin but I am not sure what I am looking at so I can never tell.

And if you can tell by the orange angelfish he looks like a raisin....I bought the tank with the angelfish looking like that. Does anyone know what it is??? or why the fish is like that??? Hes been eating all the time and doesn't seem to be getting fatter or skinner...Not sure how old that one is but the previous owner said she had the tank for 2 years.

Danni

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Angel that looks like a raisin is a Pearlscale- this is their appearance. Nothing seems to be wrong.

It's hard to tell but when I watched the vid in fill screen- it looks like the blue is a male, I could have sworn I saw a flash of a tube there. It could very well be breeding time and the aggression is coming out because of it. I'm not positive there though.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but in my opinion- space is an issue in that tank. There are way too many fish in it especially with a fish that could be breeding or he could be just naturally aggressive- they are an aggressive species. What I have really noticed in them- they are either aggressive or they aren't- there is no in between with them it seems to me.

You have a couple of options- rehome the aggressive fish- he is beautiful I'm sure someone would take him off of your hands.

Rehome everything but the angels- technically a 29 gallon is really only good for a breeding pair of them depending on temperment.

Put the blue in another tank if you want to keep him.

You could take him out and rearrange the tank and try to reintroduce him. Plant it more to break up the lines of sight better.

Get a bigger tank...
In keeping angels- you always have to have a back up plan in case of aggression. Bigger tanks are always better for them and it cuts down the aggression quite a bit when they have more room.

OP
Hsunami

Hsunami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ah ok thanks. It was really my fault for having that much fish. When I bought it from craigslist the owner said it was a 40 gallon and it had been awhile since I had an aquarium tank so I just took the owners word for it. Then just recently when I was buying an upgrade for the light and I measured it than did I figure out it was a 30 gal.

Planting wise I can't really do anything since I just bought these plants and I have to wait for them to grow....but I just threw in my plastic plants I had in there before. We'll see how that one goes.

Thanx danni

Danni

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sure no worries, glad to help- plastic plants are good too!

By the way- the tank is beautiful. All the angels are gorgeous in it- the mean one is my favorite. Your local pet shop might take some of those other fish off of your hands, some may even give you credit for them. So it would be worth checking out.

Kathy Potts

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love your angels!!!!

Were all three angels housed together when you got the tank? Or did you add any fish after you got the tank?

For the life of me, I have a hard time determining males from females unless I see the breeding tubes. Wish I could help you on that, but can not say with any accuracy. Sorry!!

The blue is an aggressive little bugger isn't it?

What are you looking for with this tank........ I mean are you wanting a breeding pair or just beautiful angels and a beautiful tank? A lot of what you do will depend on what your expectations are, if that makes any sense?

OP
Hsunami

Hsunami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well for the pearscale he is the only one that was in there I added in the other 2 angel fishes.

Not really looking for anything. I just want a nice community tank where all the fishes can be friendly and not go around causing havoc. So I quarantined the blue one and the other one that was being picked on decided to start picking on the other fish as well. He thought he was the top dog now. So...now ....they BOTH are quarantined.

Kathy Potts

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OH MY!!!!!

I wonder if it could be a breeding issue?

Any hopes of getting a larger tank for them? Maybe a 75 gallon? A 55 g might work, but as aggressive as the blue one was........... hummmm? If you were able to go with a larger tank, I would definitely use some tall plants like DannI mentioned to break their line of sight up. In my 75, I have tall fake plants and some tall rocks where they can hide. This may sound silly and might not even work, but I have heard that by stocking the tank a bit more heavily with more angels like in a 75 might help with the aggression issue. The theory behind this is that there will be aggression but it is divided up amongst them all and not just one fish gets picked on. But Cichlids are Cichlids. I have lost Africans due to aggression even though there were plenty of others to be picked on and plenty of spaces to hide in. In fact, I just had to rescue a huge Red Zebra that was getting the tar beaten out of him. Hopefully he will pull thru!! I also had to get rid of 2 females a short while back because they were getting beaten up really bad. There will always be a pecking order. Like you mentioned.... you take the aggressor out but then somebody else takes it's place.

Very curious to see how this turns out.

Hopefully someone else might have a solution or answer.

darrellg1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello hsunamI

Looking at you'd video you have sone loverly angels as well as some loverly community fish to thanks for sharing thus video with us .
Getting back to your situation you seem to have what I call a colbalt blue angel this is the one showing the aggression in your tank on your video this is a cross between a platinum angel and a domestic silver angel. In all my exsperiance at keeping angelfish these guys are the most aggressive of all the angel spices I had a pair and when they wernt breeding and looking after fry the male would attack the female so badly I had to remove her until she was ready to spawn again. I would think looking at your video this was a male and being you have just added these fish correct me if I'm mistaken I'm sure you said this in your post the two new guys are making s point to every body in the tank I'm the boss not you. I would also agree with the tank also being over stocked to I would suggest getting some bigger plants like amazon swords to keep the fireing line down so that the other fish can stay out if sight

I hope this helps in anyway

OP
Hsunami

Hsunami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well I got the tank like 4 months ago the owner had it for 2 years and couldn't take care of it so I bought it. All the fish in there have been in there for about 3 months now with no trouble.

The cobalt just recently started being aggressive but when I quarantined the cobalt the one that was being picked on started picking on the other fish. Guess after top dog is gone the next one takes over eh.

yea I read added the plastic plants that I took out and every time seems to be a lot better now. Thanks for everyone's suggestions

OP
Hsunami

Hsunami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
well I left both of them in the quarantine tank for a good day and a half everything seemed fine, when I came back to work the cobalt was picking on the other one again. So I took him out and the other one started picking on the others again. So now they are back in the quarantine tank and this time no divider. Maybe they can be friends, cause I know they are not fighting in the quarantine tank while they are put together. They just kicking it on time out. LOL I'll try again for a day or 2 with these 2 next to each other. Maybe they can have a nice chit chat? and become friends. I'll post a picture of the 2 in the morning. Lights are off so I can't take now.

OP
Hsunami

Hsunami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
heres a picture of both of them being good boys and not fighting with each other. LOL

New Threads