Sudden Temp Change.. Help

1. x

xloe Valued Member Member

Ok here comes a face-palmer.
    I just added an area of sand to my gravel substrate while fish were in the tank, about 50% of water removed. At one point during this process I noticed the sand was cooler than room temp and was making the water cold. So I then overcorrected adding warm water and my tank went up about 5 degrees from normal, so currently 80 degrees.
    I was going to then small amount of cooler water, but sometimes in the heat of the fish moments as I already showed once so far, we don't make the brightest decisions.
    So should I let the temp come down naturally and hope nobody dies or add some cool water (and hope nobody dies)?

2. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

I would just leave it and let it get to normal temp gradually. Drastic changes are more detrimental than gradual.

3. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Another vote for let it do what it will. A whoops, but hopefully it won’t hurt your tank.

4. OP
    OP
    x

xloe Valued Member Member

Thanks! I left it alone and i think everyone looks fine so far, temp is down to normal.
    On a side note the cories are looking like they like the sand. I used blasting sand and in pictures I've seen it looks actually black, but whatever i got has a lot of gold in it.
    Oh well....maybe at least it'll hide the poop better than real black.