Sudden shrimp deaths

mossman

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Woke up this morning to five dead Amanos and five others on the verge of death (pale, upside down, but still alive). Three others appear to be fine. Ammonia is 0 but nitrates are around 60 or so. I am EI dosing, so this doesn't seem to far out of line. Coincidentally, I bought some new plants that arrived yesterday and plopped them in yesterday. I noticed the shrimp zooming around as soon as I added them, but didn't think anything of it. Are there certain plants that are poisonous to Amanos?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your nitrates should be below 40 that may be one issue. Maybe there was some copper in the tank you got the plants from? I always soak mine at least overnight. Some kind of quarantine is always a good idea. I dodged some planeria one time doing this. ;)

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Some plant nurseries will use chemicals to kill off snails/eggs, these treatments can certainly kill shrimp too so it could be due to that. Always rinse new plants and pick through them thoroughly. Quarantining them is a good idea but I’m too lazy for that and just soak them in a bucket overnight after rinsing and prepping them.

OP
mossman

mossman

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl said:
Your nitrates should be below 40 that may be one issue. Maybe there was some copper in the tank you got the plants from? I always soak mine at least overnight. Some kind of quarantine is always a good idea. I dodged some planeria one time doing this. ;)
I haven't changed anything else so I'm thinking it has to be the new plants. Any chance the sick ones will recover?

OP
mossman

mossman

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Demeter said:
Some plant nurseries will use chemicals to kill off snails/eggs, these treatments can certainly kill shrimp too so it could be due to that. Always rinse new plants and pick through them thoroughly. Quarantining them is a good idea but I’m too lazy for that and just soak them in a bucket overnight after rinsing and prepping them.
That's gotta be it. ****. Thanks guys.

OP
mossman

mossman

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just tested for copper and there is none. I'll contact the nursery and see what they have to say.

OP
mossman

mossman

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Demeter said:
I just heard back from the nursery. They said they absolutely do not use pesticides and they have shrimp in their water. No clue what happened then.

New Threads