Sudden realisation - Power Outrage tips!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BlackNotebookTanks, Jun 28, 2016.

1. BlackNotebookTanks

BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Hello all!

BNB here with a question; What do I do in case of a power break/outage? We have no solar powered anything, or back up generators. Sometimes the power will just randomly cut off, because y'know - Ireland! Sometimes it's back in five minutes, or five hours, or a day or two.

Should I invest in some sort of... generator? I have two tanks, one nano in my bedroom and the other big tank in the breakfast room. How to I prepare for upcoming outages?

2. Cef

Cef Valued Member Member

I was pondering about this for days now, stormy season is about to go in and power outages can be expected. I was thinking of a low tech ups? Is that possible? Awaiting replies.

3. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

4. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

For the short term if it's cold, wrap your tank in a blanket. If it's about the right temp for the fish. Leave it.

If it's more than a few hours you could always get a UPS Battery backup like you would get for a a computer. Most computer battery backups for a computer last like 20 - 30 minutes and a filter and air pump for an aquarium usually use a whole lot less power. so should last quite a long time. No clue how long, but they don't take much power

Only reason I personally would stay away form a generator is unless you want to open a window or a door, you don't want to run a generator inside.

5. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

If its only for a short period of time you can take a cup of tank water and pour it back in to create oxygen. Maybe look into a battery powered air pump like stated above?

6. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

7. Cef

Cef Valued Member Member

Lucy thank you! Will go with ups backup.

8. L

Landos Well Known Member Member

Sponge filter and battery powered air pump. As for heat, not so sure there, just wrap the tank with blankets so the temp maintains as well as possible

9. OP
    OP
    BlackNotebookTanks

BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Thank you everybody for your replies ^_^ I'm going to try get a battery powered air pump and I'll also be getting a ups backup when I get the chance. Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice