Sudden nitrite spike

rg0p
The GH numbers are ~150 ppm (I am sorry I mistyped as KH in my orginal post). The actual KH values: 40-80 ppm. pH 6.5-7.0
ammonia 0 ppm

Now, I was alarmed my nitrite was ~3 ppm I mean I have had nitrite and ammonia at 0 ppm for a long time. Admittedly, I have not done water params test in 2-3 weeks. My nitrate is at 20 ppm and I do dose nitrate as per PPS method, only alternate days. So why this (sudden) increase in nitrites??

BTW, about 2 days ago I took some of this tank water, during water change, and put it in my 2.5 gal tank as I going to quarantine my new fish (cardinal tetras 5). The nitrite level in that water is close to 0 ppm!

Only other thing I did to my main tank at water change:
I put about 10 gelatin capsules full of Osmocote Plus. Also, I did some very minor replanting: shifted a small amazon sworda few inches to give more light. And I planted most of Anacharis, which were floating since purchase (~3 wks) at a corner.
Other than that, yesterday I dosed Fluorish Comprehensive (lower dose ~1 mL) and Fluorish iron (again ~1 mL), in addition to my usual PPS dosing (potassium, nitrate, phosphate). That too, I dose them lower than recommeded for my tank.

I did 20% water change this morning. Not much change in nitrite level, understandably. Will do another 20% tomorrow morning. In all this, my fish are doing OK, apparently. Even my cardinal tetras.

Is there something in that would lead to give false nitrite level? I plan to do some tests separately, combing various ferts solutions I used - PPS solution, Flourish Comp, Fluorish etc - at different combinations and see if there's any effect. I ran out of test strips, so will have to wait.

Thanks all...

toosie
If you are using test strips to test the tank, this could be your whole problem. Test strips do not provide accurate results. Pick yourself up some liquid test kits or the API Freshwater Master Test Kit and check your levels with it. This is the only way you can be sure you know what is going on with your tank. The strips could have been giving you falsely low results previously or they could be giving you false high results now. Several members have tried the strips including myself at one point in time and we have proven time and again that they just cannot be trusted.

rg0p
Thanks. I am getting the API Master kit. I took my water to 2 different stores locally - a petsmart and a petco. Petco guy used the same kinds strip (Tetra) that I used and his results were similar to mine (of course). Petsmart person used test strip too. The bottle she had looked similar but somewhat different. Her test showed high ammonia too (1.5 ppm)!! What to believe??!! I am sure not going to trust the strips anymore. What a waste?!! They weren't cheap either. Thanks again for your help. I have recd similar advice from other groups as well.

T'sTropicalTanks
My tank has been running for about 3 years and everything’s been stable until now. My nitrite has been 0 for those years and now it suddenly 1.0 ppm. Yesterday I was doing regular maintenance. I run an aquaclear 50 and once a month I squeeze the condensed organic matter out of the foam block, replace my carbon, and I will take my bag of biomax and I’ll stir it around in my water change water for a couple of minutes, which is what I did yesterday. Could that have done it? I doubt I killed my bacteria but what do u guys think?

Piaelliott
Any dead fish, rotten wood, etc in your tank? Do you do regular water changes? If the nitrates are skyrocketing, they can revert back to nitrites.

T'sTropicalTanks
Any dead fish, rotten wood, etc in your tank? Do you do regular water changes? If the nitrates are skyrocketing, they can revert back to nitrites.

I change 1/3 of the water every Sunday but I only do filter maintenance once a month.

el337
What's the tank size and stock? What's your feeding schedule like and do you vacuum your substrate along with your water changes?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Kate1018
Replies
Views
Basil
Replies
Views
CocoCappuccino
  • Question