Sudden Nerite Death

MrDobing
Sorry, I know this gets asked probably daily...

Found my black nerite just upside down today on its back. Took out the tank and body is motionless but still visible.
Doesn't smell (yet).

I've quarantined it in a little tupperware container with some tank water and food.

It has been very inactive for a day or so near the waterline but it was eating yesterday.
Added about a 3rd of a indian almond leaf 2 days ago which has caused and oily looking film on the water, could this be the cause?

Ammonia is usually 0-0.25 (my cycle crashed or wasn't quite complete when I added 10 shrimp a week or so back)... but reading into the actual toxic ammonia based off my readings, ph and temps it shouldn't be toxic as it comes in about 0.011

I have been doing 30% water changes every other day with prime to see if my ammonia comes down.

Shrimp seem to be doing fine but also seem fairly inactive most of the day.

Freshfishguy
MrDobing said:
Sorry, I know this gets asked probably daily...

Found my black nerite just upside down today on its back. Took out the tank and body is motionless but still visible.
Doesn't smell (yet).

I've quarantined it in a little tupperware container with some tank water and food.

It has been very inactive for a day or so near the waterline but it was eating yesterday.
Added about a 3rd of a indian almond leaf 2 days ago which has caused and oily looking film on the water, could this be the cause?

Ammonia is usually 0-0.25 (my cycle crashed or wasn't quite complete when I added 10 shrimp a week or so back)... but reading into the actual toxic ammonia based off my readings, ph and temps it shouldn't be toxic as it comes in about 0.011

I have been doing 30% water changes every other day with prime to see if my ammonia comes down.

Shrimp seem to be doing fine but also seem fairly inactive most of the day.
Hi, sorry you are dealing with this.

Could be from the cycle crashing...how big was he? Also could be that you got a full grown old Nerite and he simply passed away of old age.

MrDobing
Freshfishguy said:
Hi, sorry you are dealing with this.

Could be from the cycle crashing...how big was he? Also could be that you got a full grown old Nerite and he simply passed away of old age.
Fairly big to be honest, maybe I did get an old one and the stress of the tank cycling etc just didn't help... ah well.
I'll wait for my tank to stablise before getting another!!

Willow84
I just got a nerite snail and it spent every day up above the water line and then yesterday I found it upside down on the substrate. Doesn't smell yet. At LFS it was very firmly attached to a rock. Maybe new parameters were too much for it? (even though ammonia and nitrite were both at 0 and nitrates are only 10)

Latest threads

Top Bottom