Sudden Molly Death

songbird5454

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My 29 Gallon has (or rather, had) 3 mollies, 5 Harlequin Rasboras, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, and a few RCS. My current water levels are:
pH: 7.4
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 30ppm
The tank is planted with Anubias, Kingsword, and Hornwort, and has a few pieces of driftwood. I have a combination of sand, Aqua Growth Soil, and Fresh Water Pebbles as substrate.

This tank is fully cycled and was set up on January 1st of this year. I introduced the three mollies and the RCS first around 4 weeks after initial setup. I introduced the Rasboras two weeks later, around February 15. Finally, I added the pleco around March 5th. The tank was doing incredibly well and maintaining appropriate levels the entire time. I have never seen abnormal behavior, white spots, or discoloration in fins from my fish. I HAVE seen bloating in my two female mollies, and slight constipation, but it's hard to tell if this is illness or pregnancy. My male molly was doing extremely well. Until this morning.

This morning I came out to feed my fish, and my male lyretail molly was as eager as always. I fed them the normal amount (small amount, just enough for all of them to eat within 2-3 minutes). All of the fish ate and behaved normally, and I put the cover back on the tank and left it alone. About two hours later, as I was getting ready to leave my apartment, I just happened to look at the tank, and my male molly was suddenly dead! I can't figure it out. I only purchased him back in October of 2016, and had him in a smaller tank until this one was ready to go. He has always been such a trooper, even in extreme water conditions, so I'm confused as to why he suddenly died in water conditions that at least seem optimal. Does anyone have any insight?

Lorekeeper

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Is it possible that a chemical of some sort was spilled into the tank? By anyone?

OP
songbird5454

songbird5454

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lorekeeper said:
Is it possible that a chemical of some sort was spilled into the tank? By anyone?
It's highly unlikely, as I was sitting at home with my roommate during the two hours between feeding and spotting him, and I can see the tank from the couch. No one went near it, and the cover was fully in place the entire time.

Lorekeeper

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
songbird5454 said:
It's highly unlikely, as I was sitting at home with my roommate during the two hours between feeding and spotting him, and I can see the tank from the couch. No one went near it, and the cover was fully in place the entire time.
That's quite strange. Possible that he choked on the food you fed? Or maybe swallowed something in the tank?

OP
songbird5454

songbird5454

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lorekeeper said:
That's quite strange. Possible that he choked on the food you fed? Or maybe swallowed something in the tank?
Is that a possibility? I fed them flakes, and I generally crumble them up, though sometimes a few larger flakes make it into the tank.

Lorekeeper

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It's not likely, but I know some fish can choke on stuff.

Goldfish have been known to choke on pellets and gravel.

I assume its the same with all fish, so he could've simply been picking at algae or something in the tank and inhaled some gravel/chunk of something.

Cori Elizabeth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
songbird5454 said:
No, not at all.
Were there any malfunctions in your tank with heaters, filters, chemicals? What were your water perameters before and after? Maybe something got in the water...?

OP
songbird5454

songbird5454

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
CorI Elizabeth said:
Were there any malfunctions in your tank with heaters, filters, chemicals? What were your water perameters before and after? Maybe something got in the water...?
I've quoted my original post below:

"My 29 Gallon has (or rather, had) 3 , 5 Harlequin Rasboras, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, and a few RCS. My current water levels are:
pH: 7.4
: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 30ppm"

My water parameters after the death are what's in that original post. The parameters were exactly the same two days beforehand. No malfunctions in heaters, filters, or chemicals. No abnormal behavior, discoloration, or abnormal appearance in any fish or inverts. The cover was never off except for the 30 seconds it took me to feed them.

New Threads