Sudden molly death sysdrome?

1. DAWNA Initiate Member

I have (had) 2 all white mollies (I think). I fed the tank and watched all of them eat and watch for signs if illness as I have learned to do with my pond koi. I went to put shoes on to go out and my big molly (male I think) was upside down at the bottom of the tank gasping. I scooped him out and froze him in a little bit of tank water for a quick death but have no idea why he died when 2 minutes earlier he was eating like usual. My fish are all fine and levels are perfect. Any ideas?

2. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

are these in a pond?

3. DAWNA Initiate Member

no, sorry. I have a 37 gallon JEBO bio filter tank. It's been up about 6 weeks with fish for about 4 weeks with one algae bloom but no other problems. I used to breed Japanese koi for a living a few years ago so I know more about pond fish than aquarium fish. I have never seen anything so sudden. Old age maybe?

4. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

o ok it kind of sounded like they were in a pond
    hmm....its hard to tell whats wrong with him....

5. joe Member Member

not sure, but i dont think freezing is good to do. hope you find out what happened

Joe

6. DAWNA Initiate Member

I only froze him so he didn't linger in the tank with the other fish picking him to death. I had a fish vet tell me that was the most humane way to euthanize a dying fish, with my koi we just anesthetized them but never took them out to revive them if they were dying anyway, it seemed more humane.