Sudden molly death sysdrome?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by DAWNA, Jan 30, 2006.

1. D

DAWNA New Member Member

I have (had) 2 all white mollies (I think). I fed the tank and watched all of them eat and watch for signs if illness as I have learned to do with my pond koi. I went to put shoes on to go out and my big molly (male I think) was upside down at the bottom of the tank gasping. I scooped him out and froze him in a little bit of tank water for a quick death but have no idea why he died when 2 minutes earlier he was eating like usual. My fish are all fine and levels are perfect. Any ideas?

2. n

newbie101 Well Known Member Member

are these in a pond?

3. OP
    OP
    D

DAWNA New Member Member

no, sorry. I have a 37 gallon JEBO bio filter tank. It's been up about 6 weeks with fish for about 4 weeks with one algae bloom but no other problems. I used to breed Japanese koi for a living a few years ago so I know more about pond fish than aquarium fish. I have never seen anything so sudden. Old age maybe?

4. n

newbie101 Well Known Member Member

o ok it kind of sounded like they were in a pond
    hmm....its hard to tell whats wrong with him....

5. j

joe Valued Member Member

not sure, but i dont think freezing is good to do. hope you find out what happened

Joe

6. OP
    OP
    D

DAWNA New Member Member

I only froze him so he didn't linger in the tank with the other fish picking him to death. I had a fish vet tell me that was the most humane way to euthanize a dying fish, with my koi we just anesthetized them but never took them out to revive them if they were dying anyway, it seemed more humane.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice