sudden flaring at roommate Question 

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
my betta fred, who is in a 10 gallon divided, has taken a sudden interest in his nerite snail rommie. it's been about 3 weeks or so, since snail joined him. and just a couple days ago he started getting really crazy...racing around, going right up to the snail and flaring, but not nipping. it's like he's just showing the snail it's his territory. I just don't know if he'll hurt snail.

my other concern is....fred has just grown out most of his fins, since an ongoing bought with finrot. he had week fins from when I got him, and has had problems getting them to grow. so now that they are looking much better....i'm afraid all the stress from his flaring and acting crazy will harm his fins again.

should I give it a couple days? or should I put snail elsewhere? x

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd just give it a couple of days. It's highly unlikely Fred will hurt the snail, even if he could get to the snail's body once it retreats into its shell. I don't think the flaring will particularly hurt Fred's fins, either, but I could be wrong about that one.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bassbonediva, you are correct. When I first got Triton & Calypso, they were in a divided tank (They still are, but when they first arrived, this was new to them). At first Calypso would flare at everything. Once he did get a tiny tear at the top of his gills, this healed within days and he has been fine. Once they settled and calmed down, the flaring stopped.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
right.....both fred and lancelot flared at each other when they first got in their 10g...but then they settled. but what I don't get is why was fred ok with snail until now? i'm not sure what has brought on this sudden flaring. I guess I'll keep my eye on it and see if he calms down or not

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Maybe it took him this long to realize that it moved around... ITS ALIVE!!!!!

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lol shine, maybe so! the snail doesn't seem too bothered by it. but I don't want him to get nipped antenaes. I guess I'll them closely. hahaha.

bettalover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Shine said:
Maybe it took him this long to realize that it moved around... ITS ALIVE!!!!!
that is funny! But quite a possability!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads